Retrieval from Multimedia
- Tomáš Skopal (guarantor)
- Jiří Novák
- Department of Software Engineering
The student obtains general knowledge regarding interfaces of portals providing multimedia content, the principles of similarity search, the methods of feature extraction from multimedia objects, indexing, and structure of distributed search engines.
Basic knowledge of database systems, data structures, programming, internet technologies, calculus.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Web platforms for retrieval and sharing of multimedia content.
2. Web interfaces, modalities, and the quality of retrieval.
3. Text-based and bag-of-words models.
4. Similarity search model - models and queries.
5. Similarity search model - popular similarity functions.
6. Image features - MPEG-7 descriptors.
7. Local image features.
8. Video retrieval techniques.
9. Feature extraction from audio, music and melody.
10. Retrieval of 2D shapes and 3D models.
11. Principles of metric indexing.
12. Metric access methods.
13. Unified model of retrieval in (non)metric spaces.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Project topic presentation.
2. Group consultations.
3. Group consultations.
4. Individual consultations.
5. Individual consultations.
6. Project presentation.
7. Project presentation.
- Study Objective:
The module introduces the technologies of retrieval of multimedia content on the web. Since multimedia applications and databases acquire even larger space on the web, the module offers a perspective to the future developers of multimedia applications and databases - in and out of the web environment.
- Study materials:
course slides +
1) Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Berthier Ribeiro-Neto. Modern Information Retrieval: The Concepts and Technology behind Search, 2011, Addison-Wesley Professional, ISBN-10: 0321416910
2) Phillipe Salembier, B. S. Manjunath, Philippe Salembier, Thomas Sikora. Introduction to MPEG 7: Multimedia Content Description Language, 2002, Wiley, ISBN-10: 0471486787
3) K. Selçuk Candan, Maria Luisa Sapino. Data Management for Multimedia Retrieval, 2010, Cambridge University Press, ISBN-10: 0521887399
4) Pavel Zezula, Giuseppe Amato, Vlastislav Dohnal, Michal Batko. Similarity Search: The Metric Space Approach, 2005, Springer, ISBN-10: 0387291466
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2019/2020:
Thákurova 7 (FSv-budova A)
- Time-table for summer semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 and and 2017 (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Computer Security, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Computer Systems and Networks, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Web and Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Web Engineering, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (compulsory course of the branch)
- Master Informatics, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (VO)
- Specialization System Programming, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2016-2017 (elective course)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2018 to 2019 (elective course)