Advanced Computer System Architectures
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Computer Systems
The student will learn the current trends in infrastructure architecture of complex business computer systems. After completion of the module, the student will be able to design a complex system infrastructure that meets availability and scalability requirements given by the business environment.
Computer architectures, basics of computer networks and operating systems.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. HW architectures and trends.
2. Data storages, security, communication, queueing theory.
3. Data storages I. - Disks.
4. Data storages II. - Tapes and other technologies.
5. Horizontally scalable computer systems.
6. Vertically scalable computer systems.
7. High availability techniques I - Introduction.
8. High availability techniques II - Clusters..
9. Virtualization techniques I.- Introduction, I/O virtualization.
10. Virtualization techniques II.- Virtual machines.
11. Virtualization techniques III.- SW virtualization.
12. Management of complex architectures.
13. Cloud Computing.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. RAID Lab.
2. Volume manager and filesystem.
3. Partitioning, resource management.
5. Virtualization I. (VMware Player , VirtualBox)
6. Virtualization II. (VMware ESXi, Virtual Alpha)
- Study Objective:
The objective of this module is to introduce techniques and architectural principles that are used in modern ICT infrastructure, such as virtualisation, high availability, multi-tier system architecture, etc. The main focus will be on helping the ICT infrastructure architecture solve business needs in firms or organizations. This knowledge and skills are needed mainly for infrastructure architects, IT technology consultants, system administrators, or similar.
- Study materials:
1. Smith, J., Nair, R. ''Virtual Machines: Versatile Platforms for Systems and Processes''. Morgan Kaufmann, 2005. ISBN 1558609105.
2. Foster, I., Kesselman, C. ''The Grid 2: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure (2nd Edition)''. Morgan Kaufmann, 2003. ISBN 1558609334.
3. Buyya, R. ''High Performance Cluster Computing: Architectures and Systems Vol. 1 and 2''. Prentice Hall, 1999. ISBN 0130137847 and 0130137855.
4. Schulz, G. ''The Green and Virtual Data Center''. CRC Press, 2009. ISBN 1420086669.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Master branch Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2017 (elective course)
- Master branch Computer Security, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Computer Systems and Networks, in Czech, 2016-2019 (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Master branch Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Info. Systems and Management, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Software Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Web Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master program Informatics, unspecified branch, in Czech, version 2016-2019 (VO)
- Master branch System Programming, spec. System Programming, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch System Programming, spec. Computer Science, in Czech, 2016-2017 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2018-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2018-2019 (elective course)