Testing of engines
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
The course is focused on methods of measuring and testing aircraft engines, including procedures for working in test cells.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Measurement of pressures in aircraft engines. Methods of measuring static and total pressures. Pressure probes, their design, characteristics of probes. Calibration of multi-hole pressure probes. Pressure transducers.
2. Temperature measurement in aircraft engines. Methods of temperature measurement - contact and non-contact temperature measurement. Resistance thermometers, thermocouples. Temperature probes, their design and characteristics. Stationary and non-stationary temperature measurement. Calibration of temperature probes.
3. Measurement of liquid and gas flows. Flow measurement according to standard ČSN EN ISO 5167-1 to 5, orifices, nozzles, Venturi tubes. Evaluation of uncertainty of measured flow.
4. Measurement of revolution, time and vibration. Measurement methods, particular measuring systems.
5. Measurement of thrust of jet engines. Principle of thrust measurement, equipment, devices. Stands for measuring thrust, their design and calibration.
6. Measurement of power of turboshaft engines. Principle of power measurement. Used brakes, their characteristics. Torsion dynamometers.
7. Measurement of voltage in aircraft engines. Types of strain gauges, measuring bridges, measurement methodology. Transfer of measured quantities from rotating parts.
8. Testing of aircraft engine parts and their aggregates. Testing methodology of compressors, turbines and combustion chambers. Determination of their characteristics. Testing of parts of fuel lubrication systems. Documentation of performed tests.
9. Tests of aircraft engines. Types and modes of tests. Prototype tests, serial, homologation and state tests. Measured quantities, basic modes of operation of individual types of aircraft engines. Errors of measured quantities, random, systematic errors, evaluation of uncertainty of measured results. Use of measuring instruments in terms of the required accuracy of the results. Automation of measurement and evaluation.
10. Methods of testing aircraft engines on the ground and in flight. Methodology of preparation and testing of engines as a whole in the test cell. Test process technology. Technical documentation of tests. In-flight engine testing, altitude testing facilities.
11. Testing cells. Basic requirements for engine test benches. Types of testing laboratories, their accessories. Noise reduction. Engine mounting. Air inlets, flue gas outlets. Fuel, lubrication and water management. Equipment of control room and measuring box.
12. LabVIEW software - experiment control and evaluation of measured parameters
13. Application of the method of small changes to determine the effect of increasing losses and decreasing the efficiency of aircraft engine parts on its main parameters (thrust, specific fuel consumption, etc.)
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
•Webster J.G.: Measurement, Instrumentation, and Sensors Handbook, CRC Press 2014
•Crabtree M.A.: The Concise Industrial Flow Measurement Handbook, CRC Press, 2020
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: