- The course cannot be taken simultaneously with:
- Electrical Measurements (B1B38EMA)
- Department of Measurement
Methods of measurement of electrical quantities (voltage, current, power, frequency, resistance, capacitance, and inductance) are explained together with principles of their correct application and accuracy estimation. The course is closed by presenting information on several basic electronic measuring instruments and explaining the fundamentals of magnetic measurements and basic information concerning measurement systems.
Physics 1, Fundamentals of Electric Circuits
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction - measuring chain, the accuracy of measurement - evaluation of uncertainties of direct and indirect measurements, the error of method and its correction.
2. Instruments for voltage and current measurement.
3. Measuring amplifiers with OA, converters of average and of RMS value, phase-sensitive rectifier.
4. Converters for sum and difference measurement, analog multipliers, measurement of frequency and phase shift.
5. AC or DC current and voltage measurement - standards, methods, and instruments
6. Principle of sampling and quantization of analog signal, DACs, and ADCs - principle, and properties.
7. Measurement of resistance - converter R - U; methods for low and high resistance measurement, unbalanced Wheatstone bridge for sensor application.
8. Present-day digital multimeters, common mode rejection, the principle of autocalibration and software calibration.
9. Measurement of power - definition, measuring methods, digital wattmeter; measurement of energy consumption.
10. Measurement of impedance and admittance in LF range - bridges, the principle of digital LCR meters.
11. Measurement of DC and LF magnetic field, measurement of parameters and characteristics of ferromagnetic materials.
12. Analog and digitizing oscilloscopes, passive oscilloscope probe.
13. LF generators of measuring signals.
14. Data acquisition systems - overview and application, GP-IB measuring system, DAQ systems based on plug-in boards, software for DAQ systems - an overview.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Measurement using laboratory oscilloscope
2. Frequency dependence of AC voltmeters
3. Measurement on the voltage divider
4. Measurement of low currents
5. Measuring amplifiers
6. Influence of the waveform of measured voltage on the meter reading
7. Measuring rectifier
8. Power and power factor measurement for single phase
9. Measurement of frequency and period time using a counter
10. Demonstration of signal sampling
11. Digital storage oscilloscope and arbitrary waveform generator
12. Measurement of low resistances
13. Digital measurement system using GPIB
14. Digital impedance and admittance meter
15. Measurement of amplitude permeability
16. Unbalanced Wheatstone bridge
17. Measurement of the leakage magnetic field
- Study Objective:
To acquaint students with methods of measurement of electric, magnetic and selected physical quantities and used instruments including principles of their correct application and accuracy estimation.
- Study materials:
 Placko, D.: Fundamentals of Instrumentation and Measurement, ISTE 2007, ISBN 1 905209 39 8
 Northrop, R.B.: Introduction to Instrumentation and Measurements, CRC 2005, 0-8493-3773-9
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Medical electronics and bioinformatics (compulsory course in the program)