Practical Digital Design
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Digital Design
Students get an overview of the contemporary digital design flow and learn practical skills to use synchronous design techniques. They understand the basics of the VHDL language and implementation technologies FPGA and ASIC. Students demonstrate practical use of the design techniques in the course project using modern industry-standard CAD design tools.
Basic knowledge of architectures of computers and their units and of digital system design techniques.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Contemporary digital design flow.
2. Project management, metrics, and estimates.
3. Fundamentals of synchronous design.
4. Digital circuit implementation technologies - ASICs, FPGAs.
5. Design at the algorithm level, decomposition to blocks.
6. The VHDL language for description of digital circuits.
7. Circuit description on the RT level - registers, counters, multiplexers.
8. Circuit description on the RT level - arithmetics.
9. Circuit description on the RT level - on-chip memories.
10. Synthesis from the RT level - the use of constraints.
11. Verification plan, models of verification.
12. Implementation of a testbench.
13. Design for testability.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Students will get practical experience in the design of digital circuits using EDA tools for FPGAs. Students will work out a semestral project and accomplish a short visit in a professional design center.
2. Introduction to the subject.
3.  Introduction and exercises with FPGA EDA tool.
4.  Design and verification of a simple synchronous circuit.
5.  Individual work on the semestral project.
6. Visit to a professional digital design center.
7. Presentation of the results.
- Study Objective:
The main aim is to obtain practical skills in using modern, industry-standard CAD design tools, that is, to produce synthesizable design in VHDL and implement it in a FPGA.
- Study materials:
1. Ashenden P. J. : The designer's guide to VHDL (3rd Edition). Morgan Kaufmann, 2008. ISBN 978-01208878591.
2. Jasinski R. : Eective coding with VHDL: principles and best practice. MIT Press, 2016. ISBN 978-0262034227.
3. Readler B. C. : VHDL by Example: A Concise Introduction for FPGA Design. Full Arc Press, 2014. ISBN978-0983497356.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Bachelor specialization Information Security, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Management Informatics, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Graphics, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (PS)
- Bachelor program, unspecified specialization, in Czech, 2021 (VO)
- Bachelor specialization Web Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Artificial Intelligence, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Systems and Virtualization, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Networks and Internet, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)