Multimedia and Graphics Applications
- Garant předmětu:
- Jiří Chludil
- Jan Buriánek
- Lukáš Bařinka, Jiří Chludil
- Department of Software Engineering
Students get acquainted with multimedia technologies and applications for 2D/3D bitmap and vector graphics. During the course, current tools for working with images, videos, 3D graphics and animation will be introduced. Students learn several basic techniques of creation and editing content in computer graphics, introduction to graphic formats, and compression technologies. They learn to use multimedia transmission and representation systems, including real-time multimedia processing. They understand the principle of operation and use of graphics processing cards. They gain a number of practical skills, such as vectorizing raster images, retouching photos, or creating 3D models.
Expected is user-level knowledge of Linux or Windows and the ability to design static webpages.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction to multimedia technologies.
2. 2D bitmap and vector graphics.
3. Color perception and color spaces for computer graphics.
4. Transmission systems of video signal for TV and projection.
5. Image data compression for archiving and transmission.
6. Bitmap image formats.
7. Video data storage and transmission and their formats.
8. 3D projection technology, object representation, camera.
9. 3D modeling techniques - basic principles and tools taxonomy.
10. Real-time 3D graphics, level of details (LoD).
11.  Architecture and application of graphics cards (GPU).
13. Motion capture for computer graphics.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction to the seminars, project assignment, evaluation criteria.
2.  Working with a 2D bitmap editor.
3.  Working with a 2D vector editor.
4.  Working with a 3D editor.
5. Working with a DTP system.
7. Project consultations.
- Study Objective:
The aim of the module is to provide a concise introduction to applications of multimedia and computer graphics. Students learn to work with applications for 2D raster and vector graphics, 3D graphics, and DTP.
- Study materials:
1. Foley D. J. et al. : Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C. Addison-Wesley, 2013. ISBN 978-0201848403.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
NBFIT PC ucebna
NBFIT PC ucebna
Thákurova 7 (FSv-budova A)
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Bachelor specialization Information Security, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Management Informatics, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Graphics, in Czech, 2021 (PS)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor program, unspecified specialization, in Czech, 2021 (VO)
- Bachelor specialization Web Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Artificial Intelligence, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Systems and Virtualization, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Networks and Internet, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)