Virtualization and Data Centers
- Garant předmětu:
- Jiří Kašpar
- Jiří Kašpar
- Jiří Kašpar
- Department of Computer Systems
The aim of the course is to familiarize students with technology basis of cloud computer systems. It shows principles and techniques used in design and implementation of data center infrastructure, such as various kinds of virtualization and high availability of servers, storages, and software layers. The course guides through data center technologies from private to public and hybrid clouds. Student learn current trends in the architecture of IT infrastructure and its configuration for classic and cloud applications. Students will understand the design, validation, and operation of complex infrastructures for modern applications with respect to scalability and protection against overloads, outages, and data losses.
Common user-level knowledge of operating systems and computer architecture.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Data center architectures and technologies: servers, storages, networks.
2. Data center architectures and technologies: security, monitoring, remote administration, performance.
3. Virtualization principles, clusters, scalability, reliability.
4. Hypervisors, virtualization of I/O devices and networks.
5. ISA emulation, OS virtualization.
6. Data storage technologies.
7. Data storage communication protocols.
8. Data storage architectures.
9. Network data storage technologies.
10. Principles of high availability of computer systems.
11. Distributed data storages and file systems.
12. Fundamental cloud architectures and services.
13. The computing infrastructure orchestration and administration.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Data storage: storage configuration.
2. Virtualization: containers. Project assignment.
3. Data storage: advanced methods of data distribution and protection. Project consultations.
4. Data storage: SAN and data flow.
5. Virtualization: VirtualBox, VMware Player.
6. The first project checkpoint, consultations.
7. Virtualization: Hyper-V.
8. Virtualization: KVM and XEN.
9. The second project checkpoint, consultations.
10. Virtualization: ISA emulation.
11. Virtualization: OS emulation.
12. Project presentations.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Li X.-E. : Advanced Design and Implementation of Virtual Machines. CRC Press, 2016. ISBN 978-1466582606.
2. Lowe S.D., Davis D.M., Green J. : Building a Modern Data Center: Principles and Strategies of Design. ActualTech Media, 2016. ISBN B01ANYBGC8.
3. Portnoy M. : Virtualization Essentials (2nd Edition). Cybex, 2016. ISBN 978-1119267720.
4. Khan S.U., Zomaya A.Y. : Handbook on Data Centers. Springer, 2015. ISBN 978-1-4939-2092-1.
5. Geng H. : Data Center Handbook. John Wiley & Sons, 2014. ISBN 978-1118436639.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
NBFIT BOU ucebna
Wed Thu Fri
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Bachelor specialization Information Security, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Management Informatics, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Graphics, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor program, unspecified specialization, in Czech, 2021 (VO)
- Bachelor specialization Web Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Artificial Intelligence, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Systems and Virtualization, in Czech, 2021 (PS)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Networks and Internet, in Czech, 2021 (PS, elective course)