Computer Networks Technologies
- Garant předmětu:
- Vladimír Smotlacha
- Vladimír Smotlacha
- Josef Koumar, Vladimír Smotlacha
- Department of Computer Systems
The course introduces students with basic and advanced technologies, components, and interfaces of contemporary computer networks at the physical layer with the overlap to the link layer. The lectures provide theoretical foundations of these technologies and explain relevant physical principles. In the labs, the respective technologies will be demonstrated and with the most important ones students will get hands-on experience. Thematically, the course covers both local and long-range optical networks, Ethernet, modern wireless networks, always with focus on high-speed networks.
Knowledge in the scope of the subject BI-PSI
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Light propagation in optical fibers and free space, optical fibers properties, optical transmission bands.
2. CWDM and WDM technology and their components, optical amplifiers.
3. Modulation, signal transmission and regeneration in high-speed optical networks.
4. Large all-optical networks, long-range optical links, properties and limitations.
5. Passive optical networks.
6. Electromagnetic signal transmission in metallic cables and in free space, transmission bands.
7. Electromagnetic signal modulation, high-speed Ethernet (10Gbit+).
8. Low latency high-speed network technologies.
9. High-speed network technology for data storages.
10. Local wireless networks, principles of signal spreading, antennas, spectrum.
11. Local wireless networks, principles and properties.
12. Modern mobile technologies usage for data transmissions.
13. Trends in network technologies.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Optical fibres, connectors, examples and demonstrations.
2. Optical transceivers and physical principles.
3. Principles of optical amplifiers, demonstration of various amplification methods.
4. Optical components parameters and their measurements.
5. Excursion into the optical laboratory.
6. Electromagnetic wave, its properties, and the principle of spreading.
7. Demonstrations of electrical signal modulation.
8. Ethernet networks.
9. Data coding and its usage in network technologies.
10. WiFi networks and their properties.
11. Radio-relay links.
12. Data transmission in mobile networks.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Tanenbaum A.S., Feamster N., Wetherall D.J. : Computer Networks (6th Edition). Pearson, 2021. ISBN 978-01355407981.
2. Spurgeon C.E. : Ethernet: The Definitive Guide (2nd Edition). O'Reilly Media, 2014. ISBN 9781449361846.
3. Hui R. : Introduction to Fiber-Optic Communications. Academic Press, 2019. ISBN 978-0128053454.
4. Howser G. : Computer Networks and the Internet. Springer, 2020. ISBN 978-3-030-34496-2.
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
Mon Tue Wed ThuroomT9:344
NBFIT síťová učebnaroomT9:344
NBFIT síťová učebna
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Bachelor specialization Information Security, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Management Informatics, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Graphics, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor program, unspecified specialization, in Czech, 2021 (VO)
- Bachelor specialization Web Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Artificial Intelligence, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Systems and Virtualization, in Czech, 2021 (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Networks and Internet, in Czech, 2021 (PS)