Retrieval from Multimedia
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Software Engineering
The student obtains general knowledge regarding interfaces of portals providing multimedia content, the principles of similarity search, the methods of feature extraction from multimedia objects, indexing, and structure of distributed search engines.
Basic knowledge of database systems, data structures, programming, internet technologies, calculus.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Web platforms for retrieval and sharing of multimedia content.
2. Web interfaces, modalities, and the quality of retrieval.
3. Text-based and bag-of-words models.
4. Similarity search model - models and queries.
5. Similarity search model - popular similarity functions.
6. Image features - MPEG-7 descriptors.
7. Local image features.
8. Video retrieval techniques.
9. Feature extraction from audio, music and melody.
10. Retrieval of 2D shapes and 3D models.
11. Principles of metric indexing.
12. Metric access methods.
13. Unified model of retrieval in (non)metric spaces.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction and selection of project topics.
2. Consultations on project assignments, late selection of project topics.
3. Consultations on projects.
4. Projects checkpoint.
5. Consultations on projects.
6. Presentations of projects.
- Study Objective:
The module introduces the technologies of retrieval of multimedia content on the web. Since multimedia applications and databases acquire even larger space on the web, the module offers a perspective to the future developers of multimedia applications and databases - in and out of the web environment.
- Study materials:
course slides +
1) Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Berthier Ribeiro-Neto. Modern Information Retrieval: The Concepts and Technology behind Search, 2011, Addison-Wesley Professional, ISBN-10: 0321416910
2) Phillipe Salembier, B. S. Manjunath, Philippe Salembier, Thomas Sikora. Introduction to MPEG 7: Multimedia Content Description Language, 2002, Wiley, ISBN-10: 0471486787
3) K. Selçuk Candan, Maria Luisa Sapino. Data Management for Multimedia Retrieval, 2010, Cambridge University Press, ISBN-10: 0521887399
4) Pavel Zezula, Giuseppe Amato, Vlastislav Dohnal, Michal Batko. Similarity Search: The Metric Space Approach, 2005, Springer, ISBN-10: 0387291466
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Master branch Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2017 (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Master branch Computer Security, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Computer Systems and Networks, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Info. Systems and Management, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Software Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Web Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2019 (compulsory course of the branch)
- Master program Informatics, unspecified branch, in Czech, version 2016-2019 (VO)
- Master branch System Programming, spec. System Programming, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch System Programming, spec. Computer Science, in Czech, 2016-2017 (elective course)