Diagnostics and Measurement in Telecommunications
|B2M32DMT||Z,ZK||6||2P + 2L||Czech|
- Jiří Vodrážka (guarantor), Zbyněk Kocur
- Petr Jareš, Jiří Vodrážka (guarantor), Zbyněk Kocur, Ondřej Vondrouš
- Department of Telecommunications Engineering
The subject builds on knowledge of basic types of interfaces used in telecommunications (from classic, via a packet-oriented and expected future generation system). Explains the importance of key parameters, presents tools for the monitoring and measurement methodology and fault diagnosis. Students verify acquired knowledge to practical tasks in the laboratory to real systems and advanced measurement techniques.
General knowledge of telecommunication and ICT networks, eg. in the range of subject „Telecommunication Systems and Networks“ and „Network Technologies“.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Types of interfaces in telecommunication networks, groups of monitored parameters.
2. Generators test sequences, events analyzers, monitoring schemes.
3. Measurement errors and data loss-making units. Estimation and mutual respect parameters.
4. Methodology to assess the timing of error events.
5. Principles event detection and isolation of faults. Examples on specific technologies.
6. Measuring jitter at interfaces (jitter and wander) .Vliv to errors in transmission and synchronization of network elements.
7. Special Characteristics of measurement and monitoring of packet networks, OAM concept.
8. Measuring parameters on L2 stress tests.
9. Measurement of parameters L3, examples of setting parameters, the connection between the parameters.
10. Systems for surveillance, control and monitoring networks - starting TMN protocols for the management and supervision.
11th remote monitoring and network monitoring, event correlation and fault diagnostics.
12th protocol analyzers, probes, monitoring tools.
13. Evaluation of QoS, QoE for the typical types of services. Affect the reliability of technical means to service availability.
14. Transformation parameters measured on qualitative indicators and technical verification of the SLA.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction to the exercise. Safety in laboratory.
2. The estimate of bit error rate and packet loss.
3. The principles of measurement in packet networks.
4. Introduction to the cycle of laboratory exercises.
5. Exercise A - parameter measurements on L1, measurement error.
6. Exercise B - parameter measurements on L2 stress tests.
7. Exercise C - parameter measurements on L2, EtherSAM.
8. Exercise D - parameter measurements on L3.
9. Exercise E - throughput analysis and parameter data stream.
10. Student project - diagnosis and monitoring of networks.
11. Solution of the project.
12. Consultation on the project.
13. Presentation and evaluation of the project
14. Replacement exercise.
- Study Objective:
Students verify acquired knowledge to practical tasks in the laboratory to real systems and advanced measurement techniques.
- Study materials:
Toy, M.: Networks and Services: Carrier Ethernet, PBT, MPLS-TP, and VPLS. Wiley. 2012. ISBN 978-0-470-39119-8
Perez, A.: IP, Ethernet and MPLS Networks: Resource and Fault Management. Wiley-ISTE. 2011. ISBN 978-1-84821-285-5
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2021/2022:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2021/2022:
Wed Thu Fri
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Electronics and Communications - Communication Networks and Internet (compulsory elective course)
- Electronics and Communications - Mobile Communications (compulsory elective course)