- Grading of the course requires grading of the following courses:
- Foundations of Physiological Optics (17PBOZFOA)
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Natural Sciences
Description and theory of causes and occurrence of refractive errors. Optical system of eye (schematic and reduced eye model, retinal image, visual acuity). Clinical anomalies - refraction errors (hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism, presbyopia, aphakia). Occurrence and frequency of refractive errors. Causes of refractive errors. Accommodation and its changes. Presbyopia, anisometropia, aniseikonia. Measurement of refractive errors.
Final test and oral exam.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Optical system of eye, imaging properties of eye, aberrations of eye.
2. Clinical anomalies - refractive errors and their description. Myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism. Anisometropia. Occurrence of refractive errors. Causes of refractive errors.
3. Description of refractive status of eye and principles of their correction..
4. Examination room and requirements for examination of refractive errors.
5. Resolving power and visual acuity. Eye charts ? principles and types.
6. Optical devices and tools for examination of refractive errors. Retinoscopy. Autorefractometers.
7. Measurements of aberrations and image quality of eye.
8. Contrast sensitivity function. Contrast sensitivity tests.
9. Spherical ametropia ? methods of examination, influence on visual acuity and contrast sensitivity.
10. Astigmatism ? methods of examination, influence on visual acuity and contrast sensitivity.
11.Accommodation. Acomodation range.
12.Optical principles of correction using ophthalmic lenses and laser surgery
13.Optical principles of presbyopia correction.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
Theory and treatment of refractive errors.
- Study materials:
1.Tunnaclife A.H.: Introduction to Visual Optics. The Gresham Press, London 1993.
2.Benjamin, W.: Borish's Clinical Refraction. Butterworth-Heinemann Elsevier, 2006.
3.Rabbetts R.B.: Clinical Visual Optics, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2007.
4.Kaschke M.: Optical Devices in Ophthalmology and Optometry: Technology, Design Principles and Clinical Applications. Wiley VCH, 2013.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: