- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Physics
Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. Maxwell's equations, electromagnetic waves. Light, wave optics, geometrical optics. Quantum properties of electromagnetic waves. Interaction of radiation with matter. Photoelectric effect. Wave-particle mature of matter. Quantum-mechanical description of particle's motion. Hydrogen atom and periodic system of elements. Spectra, x-rays, ;laser. Band theory of solids, semiconductors. Nucleus, radioactivity, sources of nuclear energy. Laboratories - measurements of 6 experiments related to the lectures.
The course is ended by passing the final assesment and an exam. In order to receive the assesment you have to attend all lab practicals. There are two levels of the exam: the writing part of the exam is the same for level „A“
and „B“. After passing this part,students will conduct an oral exam, at the level of their choice, „A“ or „B“.Level „B“ has lower requirements for derivations and maths forms of studied effects.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, self-inductance, mutual inductance.
2. Maxwell's equations, displacement current.
3. Electromagnetic waves, interaction of radiation with matter. Light.
4. Geometrical optics.
5. Wave optics, interference. Special theory of relativity.
6. Particle nature of radiation. Photoelectric effect. Black-body radiation, the Compton effect.
7. Wave-particle nature of matter. De Broglie waves. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
8. Models of hydrogen atom, quantum numbers, electron spin.
9. Introduction into quantum mechanics - Schrodinger equation.
10. Particle in a box. Harmonic oscillator. Periodic system of elements.
11. Spectra, x-rays, laser. Molecular bonds.
12. Band theory of solids, semiconductors.
13. Radioactivity, activity, disintegration law, half-life, sources of nuclear energy, measurements.
14. Fundamental elementary particles, classification. Cosmology.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
Laboratory experimetns concern the topics corresponding to the actual lecture. Students are divided into groups of two. Each student must have his/her individual report from each measurement.
- Study Objective:
The aim is a good knowledge of fundamental physical laws and principles together with their applications. The subject has laboratory experiments where the student receives basical methods of measurement and their procedures.
- Study materials:
1. Young, H.D., Freedman, R.A.: Sears and Zemansky' University Physics, 10th edition, Addison-Wesley, 2000
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- 10 62 67 00 BTZI 2012 P základ (compulsory course in the program)
- 11 68 73 00 BTZI 2012 K základ (compulsory course in the program)
- 02 26 31 34 BSTR EPT 2012 P základ (elective course)
- 03 26 31 36 BSTR IAT 2012 P základ (elective course)
- 04 26 31 38 BSTR KPP 2012 P základ (elective course)
- 06 40 45 48 BSTR EPT 2012 K základ (elective course)
- 07 40 45 50 BSTR IAT 2012 K základ (elective course)
- 08 40 45 52 BSTR KPP 2012 K základ (elective course)
- 05 40 45 46 BSTR TZP 2012 K základ (elective course)
- 05 40 45 46 DSTR TZP 2012 K základ (elective course)
- 06 40 45 48 DSTR EPT 2012 K základ (elective course)
- 07 40 45 50 DSTR IAT 2012 K základ (elective course)
- 08 40 45 52 DSTR KPP 2012 K základ (elective course)
- 10 62 67 00 DTZI 2012 P základ (compulsory course in the program)
- 11 68 73 00 DTZI 2012 K základ (compulsory course in the program)