Wireless Computer Networks
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Computer Systems
Students will learn about the modern technologies, protocols, and standards for wireless networks. They will understand the routing mechanisms in ad-hoc networks, multicast and broadcast mechanisms, and data flow control mechanisms. They will also learn about principles of communication in sensor networks. They get knowledge of security mechanisms for wireless networks and get skills of configuration of wireless network elements and simulation of wireless networks using suitable tools.
Basic understanding of computer network principles, ISO OSI model, basic routing algorithms.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Wireless local communication, properties of radio communication channels.
2. Communication channels, coding and modulation methods, CDMA, OFDM.
3. Mechanisms of shared channels access in wireless networks, MAC.
4. Addressing schemes in wireless networks, time synchronization, localization, mobility.
5. Networks IEEE 802.11b/g/a/n, communication, relation to IP, security mechanisms.
6. WiMax networks (IEEE 802.16), access mechanisms, mobility.
7. Ad-hoc networks: construction of communication topology.
8. Routing in ad-hoc networks, proactive and reactive methods.
9. Sensor networks, architecture and communication principles.
10. Technology of mobile phones GSM, architecture, localization, modern technologies UMTS, LTE.
11. Bridges between wireless networks and TCP/IP and VoIP networks.
12. Technologies of sensor networks, ZigBee.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
Configuration of WiFi for different network types and topologies (ad-hoc, infrastructure, enterprise with certification authority);
WiFi sniffing and WEP cracking;
Configuration of ZigBee networks for different environments and topologies;
Spectral analysis of the wireless channel
- Study Objective:
Properties of wireless channels used in the technologies of Wireless Local Area Networks and Wireless Personal Networks have significant influence on the selection of topology of connection links, on the selection of routing methods, and finally on the terminal behavior of transport channels. The lectures are focussed on the overview of the most important methods used for sharing frequency ranges, routing, and flow control. The goal is to verify in practice the properties of real wireless channels and demonstrate some principles used in wireless networks by simulations.
- Study materials:
1. Murthy, C. S. R., Manoj, B. S. ''Ad Hoc Wireless Networks: Architectures and Protocols''. Prentice Hall PTR, 2004. ISBN 013147023X.
2. Pahlavan, K., Krishnamurthy, P. ''Principles of Wireless Networks: A Unified Approach''. Prentice Hall PTR, 2001. ISBN 0130930032.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Master branch Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2017 (elective course)
- Master branch Computer Security, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Computer Systems and Networks, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Info. Systems and Management, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Software Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Web Engineering, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master program Informatics, unspecified branch, in Czech, version 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch System Programming, spec. System Programming, in Czech, 2016-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch System Programming, spec. Computer Science, in Czech, 2016-2017 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2018-2019 (elective course)
- Master branch Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2018-2019 (elective course)