Searching the Web and Multimedia Databases
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Software Engineering
Students get basic overview about search techniques in the web environment that is interpreted as a very large distributed and heterogeneous storage of documents. In particular, students acquire information about search techniques in text and hypertext documents (the web pages themselves) and about feature extraction from web pages. They get detailed knowledge of similarity search in multimedia databases (generally in collections of unstructured data). They also learn techniques for programming web search engines for the mentioned data types (documents).
Basic knowledge and skills in algorithmics, programming, data structures and database technologies.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Web space, search engines, web retrieval modes.
2. Boolean model of information retrieval.
3. Vector model of information retrieval.
4. Link analysis and the web page ranking.
5.  Search engine ranking and optimization (SEO).
7. Semantic web and Linked data.
8. Personalized search and social context.
9. Web data mining.
10. Introduction to similarity search in multimedia databases.
11. Indexing of metric similarity for efficient multimedia retrieval.
12. Approximate similarity search.
13. Similarity queries and multimodal search.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Project topic presentation.
2. Group consultations.
3. Group consultations.
4. Individual consultations.
5. Individual consultations.
6. Project presentation.
7. Project presentation.
- Study Objective:
This module is recommended for students that are interested in deeper understanding of web search engines. In particular, text, hypertext, and multimedia retrieval techniques are explored. The retrieval techniques are described in three layers: theoretical (model), algorithmical, and application. Then, in experimental projects the students can implement the methods and employ them in various web applications.
- Study materials:
course slides +
1) Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Berthier Ribeiro-Neto. Modern Information Retrieval: The Concepts and Technology behind Search, 2011, Addison-Wesley Professional, ISBN-10: 0321416910
2) Amy N. Langville, Carl D. Meyer. Google's PageRank and Beyond: The Science of Search Engine Rankings, 2012, Princeton University Press, ISBN-10: 0691152667
3) Kristopher B. Jones. Search Engine Optimization: Your Visual Blueprint for Effective Internet Marketing, 2013, Visual, ISBN-10: 1118551745
4) Pavel Zezula, Giuseppe Amato, Vlastislav Dohnal, Michal Batko. Similarity Search: The Metric Space Approach, 2005, Springer, ISBN-10: 0387291466
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Bachelor program Informatics, unspecified branch, in Czech, 2015-2020 (VO)
- Bachelor branch Security and Information Technology, in Czech, 2015-2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor branch Computer Science, in Czech, 2015-2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor branch Computer Engineering, in Czech, 2015-2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor branch Information Systems and Management, in Czech, 2015-2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Software Engineering, in Czech, 2015-2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Web Engineering, in Czech, 2015-2020 (compulsory course of the branch)
- Bachelor branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Computer Graphics, in Czech, 2015-2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor branch Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2018-2020 (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Bachelor branch Web and Software Engineering, spec. Computer Graphics, in Czech, Dubin (elective course)