Internal Aero and Thermodynamics of Aircraft Engine Compressors and Turbines
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
The aim of the subject is to explain physical principles of energy transformation within non-rotational and rotational components of gas turbine aero-engines and to describe fundamental principles and equations of fluid flows in basic elements like inlet channels, diffusers, nozzles, combustion chambers and blade cascades of compressors and turbines and analyze their operational characteristics.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Energy, forms, and energy transformations, basic equations of compressible fluid flow in 3D, absolute and relative systems of coordinates and description of flow phenomena.
2. Internal energy transformation within compressible viscous fluid flow, inlets, diffusers, mixing processes, nozzles.
3. Flow with heat supply, Rayleigh equations, total pressure losses.
4. Fundamentals of combustion, burners, combustion chambers, energy release and flame temperature, cooling systems, flame and combustion stabilization, operational and stability characteristics of combustion chambers, exhaust emissions.
5. Inlets and diffusers, subsonic and supersonic, pressure recovery, stability of boundary layers, flow field non-uniformity, secondary flows, design methods
6. Mixing processes in mixing ducts, nozzles, subsonic and supersonic, operational characteristics, losses, design methods
7. Thermo-physical properties of air and hot gases
8. Axial flow compressor stage aerodynamics, compressor blade cascades and their characteristics, compressor stage and relative flow fields, energy transformation, reactivity and power coefficients, speed, pressure and temperature rise, losses, stability of flow, relative 3D flow fields, secondary flows, losses, operational characteristics, efficiency, stall, surge and control. Design methods.
9. Axial flow compressor aerodynamics, pressure ratio and temperature rise, stability of flow, operational characteristics, efficiency, stall, surge and control. Design methods.
10. Centrifugal compressor stage aerodynamics, relative D flow fields, radial diffusers, vane-less, vane diffusers, channel diffuser, pipe diffusers, stability of the flow within a diffuser, operational characteristics of the stage. Design methods.
11. Axial turbine stage aerodynamics, axial turbine blade cascades and their characteristics, axial turbine stage and relative flow fields, energy transformation, reactivity and power coefficients, pressure and temperature decrease, losses, operational characteristics, efficiency. Design methods.
12. Turbine cooling
13. Turbine engine air and hot gases flow passages sealing
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
Jerie J.: Spalovací turbíny, učební text ČVUT v Praze, 1973
Oates G. C.: Aerothermodynamics of Aircraft Engine Components, AIAA Education Series, ISBN 0-915928-97-3, 1985
Fox R. W., McDonald A. T. : Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, John Wiley &sons, INC, ISBN 0-471-59274-9, 1994
Bohl W.: Strőmungsmaschinen 1, 2, Vogel Buchverlag, ISBN 3-8023-1737-8, ISBN 3-8023-1810-2, 1999
Anderson Jr. J. D.: Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, McGraw-Hill International Editions, Aerospace Science Series, ISBN 0-07-100767-9, 1991
Anderson Jr. J. D.: Modern Compressible Flow, McGraw-Hill International Editions, Aerospace Science Series, ISBN 0-07-100665-6, 1990
Green S. I.: Fluid Vortices, Kluver Academic Publishers, ISBN 0-7923-3376-4, 1995
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: