Advanced Database Systems
- Michal Valenta (guarantor)
- Michal Valenta (guarantor), Yelena Trofimova
- Department of Software Engineering
Students orient themselves in problems of evaluation and optimization of SQL queries.
The next part of the course deals with new concepts of database machines (so called NoSQL databases), with the related new data models (XML, graph databases, column databases) and languages for working with them (XQuery, XPath, CYPHER, Gremlin). The last part of the course deals with performance evaluation of database machines.
The basic knowledge of conceptual data modeling, relational data model, and relational algebra. Good knowledge of SQL (only relational part, on the level of SQL92), especially SELECT statement, DML, and DDL.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. (2) SQL optimization and evaluation.
3. BIG data, data models of NoSQL database machines.
4. CAP theorem, concepts BASE vs ACIT, shard replication.
5. Document-oriented databases.
6. (3) Graph databases.
9. (2) XML database, XQuery language.
11. Key-value and wide-column databases.
12. Big Data Processing Platforms (Haddop, Spark).
13. Benchmarks. Trends in database system development.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Revision of RDBMS, object-relational features of SQL
2. Evaluation and optimization of SQL
3. Mongo DB - practical questioning
4. Cypher - practical questioning
5. XQuery - practical questioning
6. semester test
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
Elmasri, R. - Navathe, B. S. : Fundamentals of Database Systems (7th Edition). Pearson, 2015. ISBN 978-0133970777.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2020/2021:
Tue Fri ThuroomT9:303
NBFIT PC ucebnaroomT9:348
NBFIT PC ucebnaroomT9:348
NBFIT PC ucebna
- Time-table for summer semester 2020/2021:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2018 to 2019 (VO)
- Computer Security, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (VO)
- Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (VO)
- Computer Systems and Networks, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (VO)
- Management Informatics, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (VO, compulsory elective course)
- Software Engineering, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (PS)
- System Programming, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (VO)
- Web Engineering, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (PS)
- Knowledge Engineering, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (VO)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2020 (VO)
- Master's Program Informatics, Plan for students without Specialization, in Czech, 2020 (VO)