Distributed Systems and Computing
- Garant předmětu:
- Pavel Tvrdík
- Pavel Tvrdík
- Jan Fesl, Pavel Tvrdík
- Department of Computer Systems
Students are introduced to methods for coordination of processes in distributed environment characterised by nondeterministic time responses of computing processes and communication channels. They learn basic algorithms that assure correctness of computations realized by a group of loosely coupled processes and mechanisms that support high availability of both data and services, and safety in case of failures.
Basic knowledge in the area of operating systems, computer networks and communication.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Distributed applications, communication methods
2. Procedural communication - XML-RPC, CORBA, Java RMI, SOAP/RESTful
3. Model of distributed computation, simple examples
4. Snapshots of distributed computation, logic time
5. Wave algorithm, algorithm symmetry - server selection
6. Exclusive access algorithms
7. Deadlock prediction and detection - on resource sharing and communication
8. Termination of distributed application, quoras
9. Data sharing and replication, distributed databases
10. P2P systems and DHT technologies
11. Agent applications, mobility of computation
12. Architecture of clouds technologies, computation methods
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Practices introduction
2. Java RMI
6. Semestral project presentation
- Study Objective:
The module focuses on the distributed computation viewed as an asynchronous cooperation of a group of finite state machines. Substantial part of the lectures is devoted to typical distributed computing techniques: ensuring causality, exclusive access, dealing with deadlocks, fault protection, mobility of computation, and security. The course is concluded with an overview of techniques for distributed data storages using the DHT (Distributed Hash Table) method and an overview of systems with mobile computing components.
- Study materials:
Janeček J.: Distribuované systémy.
Janeček J., Kubr J., Červený M.: Distribuované systémy - cvičení.
Dollimore, J. - Kindberg, T. - Coulouris, G. : Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design (5th Edition). Pearson, 2011. ISBN 0132143011.
Tanenbaum, A. S. - van Steen, M. : Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms (2nd Edition). CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2016. ISBN 153028175X.
Lynch, N. A. : Distributed Algorithms. Elsevier, 2009. ISBN 8181479645.
Tel, G. : Introduction to Distributed Algorithms. Cambridge University Press, 2001. ISBN 0521794838.
Wan Fokkink : Distributed Algorithms: An Intuitive Approach (2nd Edition). MIT Press, 2018. ISBN 0262037661.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2023/2024:
Tue Wed ThuroomT9:344
NBFIT síťová učebna
- Time-table for summer semester 2023/2024:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Master specialization Computer Security, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Systems and Networks, in Czech, 202 (PS)
- Master specialization Management Informatics, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization System Programming, in Czech, version from 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Web Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Mgr. programme, for the phase of study without specialisation, ver. for 2020 and higher (VO)