|BE2B32DATA||KZ||5||2P + 2L||English|
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Telecommunications Engineering
The course introduces students with the fundamentals of data communication networks. The course objective is to provide broader understanding of various communication protocols used in specific types of data networks based on the layered OSI model. The course also provides students with fundamental understanding of TCP/IP protocol family as it is used in the Internet era of networking, including practical experience with the data networks in laboratory.
no special knowledege requirement is neccessary
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction. Basic concepts, historical overview.
2. Internet, virtualization, cloud, social networks.
3. Methods of communication, layered models, networks topologies.
4. Cryptography and public key infrastructure.
5. Application protocols - socket, web, telnet
6. Domain Name System - DNS.
7. E-mail - basic principles and protocols.
8. Structure of IP datagram and its functions, auxiliary protocols (ARP, RARP and ICMP).
9. Network addresses and routing basics.
10. Network devices - hub, switch, router, gateway, firewall.
11. Virtualization in data networks.
12. Security in LAN - Ethernet, Spanning tree.
13. How to access to the Internet (xDSL, CATV, GSM, LTE).
14. Basic concepts of network administration.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Preliminary exercises, health and safety.
2. Get familiar with the lab. Network diagnostic tools.
3. The basics of configuration and control of Cisco routers
4. Lab: Wireshark, TCP UDP analysis
5. Lab: Domain Name System
6. Lab: E-mail
7. States holiday.
8. Lab: DHCP and NAT
9. Lab: Routing
10. Project definition
11. Lab: Virtual LAN
12. Lab: ADSL router
13. Lab: Cabling system
14. The compensatory exercise. Assessment
- Study Objective:
The students will acquire broader understanding of communication networks and protocols to be help them better select their future study of more in-depth focused subjects in the field of networking.
- Study materials:
Peterson, L. L. Computer Networks, 5th edition. The Morgan Kaufmann. 2011.
Forouzan, B. A. Data Communications and Networking, 5th edition. McGraw-Hill Education. 2012.
James F. Kurose, Keith W. Ross - Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach. Addison-Wesley, 2010.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: