Virtual game worlds
- Garant předmětu:
- Radek Richtr
- Radek Richtr
- Radek Richtr
- Department of Software Engineering
In the course students learn methods to create a complex virtual world. It is a follow-up course of basic courses of the PG specialization (BIE-MGA, BIE-PGR). Students gain knowledge of the theory of game design, of principles of writing dialogues and characters in order to create a functional virtual world. Within the labs they get practical skills within team development work on the semester project.
BI-MGA, BI-PGR, or BI-BLE (recommended, not mandatory)
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Scene and its representation.
2. Interaction and modality in a virtual scene.
3. World with an avatar and without it.
4.  Natural world dynamics.
6. Natural activity cycles.
7. Dialogues and scenarios.
8. The inner logic and rules of a virtual world.
9. Non-user persons in a virtual world.
10. More complex structures.
11. The whole virtual world storyline.
12.  Virtual Reality.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1semestral work assignment
2team role assignment
3Basic graphics engines, virtual world, objects and interactions
4checkpoint (static world)
5World and objects dynamics
6checkpoint (dynamic world)
7Storylines, dialogs, NPCs
8Complex virtual world
9checkpoint (NPC, dialogs)
10Unity VR (static world)
11Unity VR (dynamic world)
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Salen K., Zimmerman E. : Rules of play: Game design fundamentals. The MIT Press, 2003. ISBN 978-0262240451.
2. Fullerton T. : Game design workshop: a playcentric approach to creating innovative games. CRC press, 2014. ISBN 978-0082560397.
3. Wisessing P., Dingliana J., McDonnell R. : Perception of lighting and shading for animated virtual characters. ACM, 2016. ISBN 978-1450343831.
4. Cao C., Wu H., Weng Y., Shao T., Zhou K. : Real-time facial animation with image-based dynamic avatars.ACM, 2016. ISBN 978-1450342797.
5. Schell, J. : The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses. A. K. Peters, Ltd., 2014. ISBN 978-1466598645.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2023/2024:
NTK PU 1roomT9:348
NBFIT PC ucebnaroomT9:348
NBFIT PC ucebna
Tue Wed Thu Fri
- Time-table for summer semester 2023/2024:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Master specialization Computer Security, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Systems and Networks, in Czech, 202 (elective course)
- Master specialization Management Informatics, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization System Programming, in Czech, version from 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Web Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Mgr. programme, for the phase of study without specialisation, ver. for 2020 and higher (elective course)
- Bachelor specialization Computer Graphics, in Czech, 2021 (compulsory elective course)
- Study plan for Ukrainian refugees (elective course)
- Master specialization System Programming, in Czech, version from 2023 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2023 (elective course)