Theory of Solid State 2
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Solid State Engineering
The content of the lesson is based on quantum-mechanical description of crystalline solid state materials, providing a fundamental base of theoretical description of solid state properties.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Fermions, Hartree-Fock approximation, determination of ground state using variational principle.
2. Many-particle quantum systems, electron gas, density functional theory.
3. Nearly-free electron approximation, tight binding approximation (linear combination of atomic orbitals).
4. One-electron description of wave function in solid, APW, OPW, pseudopotentials.
5. Bloch functions, Wannier functions.
6. Brillouin zone, symmetries in solids
7. Electron-phonon interaction, polarons.
8. Electron dynamic in magnetic field: de Hass-van Alphen effect, cyclotron resonance.
9. Calculation of band structure and Fermi surfaces.
10. Semiconductors: band structure, doping states, cyclotron resonance.
11. Topological properties of solids, Berry curvature, Chern charge, surface electron state.
12. Application of Green functions in solids.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 Steven H. Simon: The Oxford Solid State Basics, OUP Oxford, 2013
 J. Patterson, B. Bailey, Solid State Physics: Introduction to the Theory, 2010
 R.M. Martin, Electronic Structure: Basic Theory and Practical Methods, 2012
 Philip Hofmann: Solid State Physics: An Introduction, 2008
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: