- Garant předmětu:
- Jiří Novák
- Jiří Novák
- Jiří Novák
- Department of Natural Sciences
Description and theory of causes and occurrence of refractive errors. Optical system of eye (schematic and reduced eye model, retinal image, visual acuity). Clinical anomalies - refraction errors (hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism, presbyopia, aphakia). Occurrence and frequency of refractive errors. Causes of refractive errors. Accommodation and its changes. Presbyopia, anisometropia, aniseikonia. Measurement of refractive errors.
The examination consists of a written test and an oral examination. Answers to the questions are scored according to difficulty. The overall mark of the examination corresponds to the applicable grading scale. If the result of any part is graded F, the result of the examination is automatically F.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Overview of the imaging properties of the optical system of the eye (aberrations, resolution, MTF, effect of aberrations on image quality)
2. Refractive errors and their description. Hypermetropia. Myopia. Astigmatism. Anisometropia. Incidence and frequency of refractive errors. Causes of refractive errors.
3. Description of the refractive state of the eye and principles of its optical correction.
4. Examination room, its equipment and examination conditions (influence of lighting and examination distance on the results of refractive examination).
5. Measurement of the resolving power and visual acuity of the eye. Optical basics of optotype construction. Types of optotypes.
6. Optical instruments and aids for determining refractive state, principles of skiascopy
7. Methods of measuring aberrations and image quality of the eye
8. Measurement of contrast sensitivity of the eye. Contrast sensitivity tests and their use.
9. Spherical ametropia - methods of determination and effect on visual acuity and contrast sensitivity
10. Astigmatism - methods of determination and effect on visual acuity and contrast sensitivity
11. Accommodations of the eye - methods of determining accommodative width
12. Optical principles of correction with spectacles, contact lenses, intraocular lenses and corneal surgery
13. Optical principles of presbyopia correction. Anisometropia and aniseikonia and its optical correction.
14. Summary of the issues
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
Theory and treatment of refractive errors.
- Study materials:
 TUNNACLIFE, A.H. Introduction to Visual Optics. ABDO College of Education, 4th ed., London 2012. ISBN: 978-0900099281.
 RABBETTS, R.B. Clinical Visual Optics, Butterworth-Heinemann, 4ed., London 2007. ISBN: 978-0750688741.
 BENJAMIN, W. Borish's Clinical Refraction. Butterworth-Heinemann, 2ed., London 2006. ISBN: 978-0750675246.
 ROSENFIELD, M., LOGAN, N. Optometry: Science, Techniques and Clinical Management. Butterworth-Heinemann, 2 ed., London 2009. ISBN: 978-0750687782.
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
Tue Wed Thu Fri
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Optics and Optometry (compulsory course)