Microprocessors in Biomedicine
- Garant předmětu:
- Pavel Smrčka
- Karel Hána, Pavel Smrčka
- Karel Hána, Pavel Smrčka
- Department of Information and Communication Technology in Medicine
We will explain the principle and building elements of a microprocessor system, the structure of a microprocessor, the connection of basic peripherals, the programming model of a microcomputer system in the form of a practically oriented explanation and demonstration tasks. Provide a basic overview of ATMega and ARM Cortex M architectures with practical examples of their programming with examples of use in biomedicine. Prerequisites and co-requisites: basic knowledge of digital technology and signal processing, basics of ISO C. Output knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies: The student is familiar with the selection and design of microprocessor system solutions for use in biomedicine. It manages the configuration and program control of these building blocks of the microprocessor system: digital inputs and outputs, A / D and D / A converters, serial and parallel communication, counters and timers, interrupt controller. Understands the basics of communication of microcomputers with the environment: interfaces for LCD displays, keyboards, RS232, Ethernet, WIFI, Bluetooth, XBee and mobile 3G / 4G communication, GPS / GLONAS localization.
Solved and documented individual laboratory exercise.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Definition of terms. Microprocessor technology, examples of applications from everyday life and medicine.
2. Logic circuits and their variants. Input, output, conversion and dynamic characteristics.
3. Interconnection of digital circuits, eg 3V and 5V logic. Level sensors and transducers.
4. Programming model of microprocessor system. Machine code. Timing of operations. Interrupt priorities. 5. Microprocessors of the ATMega family. Overview of products of current manufacturers, applications.
6. Microprocessors of the ARM family. Overview of products of current manufacturers, applications.
7. Bus structure of microprocessor system. Microprogram controller, arithmetic-logic unit.
8. A / D and D / A converters. Interrupt controller, counters, timers. UART, SPI, I2C interface.
9. Overview of other families of microprocessors, signal processors. Comparison of individual types according to parameters.
10. Software tools (toolkits and frameworks) for the development of medical microcomputer applications.
11. Support tools for the development of the necessary software on the PC platform, methods of transfer to application development boards, online debugging of the program.
12. Specific requirements for biomedical microprocessor systems. The issue of safety, ergonomics of control and
optimal visualization of results. Typical current solutions.
13. Connection of microcomputer systems to medical technical infrastructure. Standard interfaces (RS232, USB, XBee), network interfaces (Ethernet). Use of satellite navigation in embedded devices.
14. Transmission media: types and properties of metallic links, optical fibers, laser and infrared (Ir) links, radio frequency links (Bluetooth LE, 3G / 4G data transmissions, WiFi). Comparison and possibilities of use.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction to the architecture of single-chip computers and microcontrollers. Brief review of the basics of the ISO C language - part I. Practical examples on the ATMEGA microcontroller (ATMega328 resp. 2560) a. ARM Cortex M3: work with digital inputs and outputs in the SW simulator, work with the LCD display in the SW simulator.
2. A brief review of the basics of the ANSI C language - part II. (function in C, multi-file project in C).
3. Practical tasks on ATMEGA microcontroller (ATMega328 / 2560) resp. ARM Cortex M3: Use of digital input unit.
4. Practical tasks on the ATMEGA microcontroller (ATMega328 / 2560) resp. ARM Cortex M3: UART, SPI, I2C, settings
5. Practical tasks on ATMEGA microcontroller (ATMega328 / 2560) resp. ARM Cortex M3: Interrupt controller - usage, basic settings
6. Practical tasks on the ATMEGA microcontroller (ATMega382 / 2560) resp. ARM Cortex M3: basics of working with a counter and timer
7. Separate task: „response time meter“ - use of GPIO, timer and LCD (optionally UART) using ATMega328 microcontroller and ARM Cortex M3
8. Independent task: the basis of a system for monitoring the physical activity of laboratory animals) using a microcontroller ATMega2560 and ARM Cortex M3
9. Examples of A / D converter work - parameters, settings, control registers) using analog frontend ADS1258 resp. 1298
10. Independent task - Intelligent medical thermometer controlled by microcontroller Atmel ATMEGA 328 resp. ARM Cortex M3 using analog frontend ADS1258 resp. 1298
11. Digitization and transmission of biosignals - requirements for HW and firmware of the control microprocessor. Data stream - serialization, coding, packet parsing, the concept of encoder and decoder - a practical design example.
12. Firmware and software for visualization of biosignals in real time, example of connection with microcomputer system 13. Independent laboratory task - eg firmware of a simple electrocardiograph controlled by a microprocessor - incl. PC connection.
14. Solving a given task on a computer. Presentation and control of results
- Study Objective:
Orientation in modern microprocessor families and peripheral and wireless connectivity technologies. Basic abitity to design simple microprocessor systems for biomedical embedded devices, including basics of the programming of microcontrrollers. Practical approach to digitisation, transmission and data-processing of biological signals.
- Study materials:
All stud. materials (incl. syllabus, practical tasks etc.) are available on e-learning server <a href="https://moodle-vyuka.cvut.cz/>https://moodle-vyuka.cvut.cz/</a>
 Virius: Programování v C++: od základů k profesionálnímu použití, Grada 2018
 Katalogový list ADS1298, on-line http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ads1298.pdf, Texas Instruments, 2015
 Kernighan, Ritchie: Programovací jazyk C, ComputerPress, Praha 2014
 Kameník: Příkazový řádek v Linuxu – praktická řešení, Computer press, 2012
- Further information:
- Stud. materiály jsou zveřejněny na e-learningovém serveru https://moodle-vyuka.cvut.cz/.
- Time-table for winter semester 2023/2024:
Mon Tue Wed Thu FriroomAL:001
Praha 2 - Albertov
Albertov - učebnaroomAL:001
Praha 2 - Albertov
Albertov - učebna
- Time-table for summer semester 2023/2024:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Biomedical Technology (compulsory elective course)