Protection Against Ionizing Radiation
- Garant předmětu:
- František Podzimek
- Tomáš Veselský
- Department of Health Care Disciplines and Population Protection
The aim of the course is to give students an overview of the issues of protection against ionizing radiation and dosimetry in general and in a specialized medical workplace. Student will studied properties of basic types of ionizing radiation, sources of ionizing radiation, interaction of gamma radiation with matter, interaction of charged particles with matter, photon and electron beam passage through the matter, units used in dosimetry and radiation protection, operational units for working and environment monitoring, dose measurement, internal contamination, shielding of simple sources.
Special attention is paid to the exposure control of workers, residents and patients. In course students will give invormation about legislative interpretation of dosage limits.
Entry requirements of the course:
Structure of matter, basic types of nuclear transformations. Properties of basic types of ionizing radiation, sources of ionizing radiation. Interaction of gamma radiation with matter, interaction of charged particles with matter, passage of photon and electron beams through matter. Detection of ionizing radiation.
Output knowledge, skills, abilities and competences:
Units used in dosimetry and radiation protection. Principles and goals of radiation protection. Basic principles of protection against external ionizing radiation and protection against internal contamination. Dose limitation system, ionizing radiation in legislation of Czech Republic. Ionizing radiation use in healthcare.
E-learning course (semestral tests composed of 20 multiple choice questions).
Final test in Moodle system (100 multiple choice questions).
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Structure of matter, basic types of nuclear transformations. Properties of basic types of ionizing radiation.
2. Sources of ionizing radiation, interaction of ionizing radiation with matter, distribution of communicated energy of ionizing radiation in matter, quantities and units used in dosimetry and in radiation protection.
3. Principles of detection of ionizing radiation.
4. Biological effects of ionizing radiation. The basic mechanism of the biological effect of ionizing radiation, stochastic and non-stochastic effects. Radiosensitivity and radioresistance.
5. Principles and goals of radiation protection. Basics of protection against ionizing radiation, protection against external ionizing radiation, protection by time, distance, shielding, protection against internal contamination.
6. Dose limitation system.
7. Use of ionizing radiation. Radiodiagnostics, radiotherapy, nuclear medicine, industrial use of ionizing radiation.
8. Monitoring of workplaces, personal monitoring, monitoring of discharges and surroundings of the workplace, emergency monitoring. Radiation exposure due to natural and artificial sources.
9. Radiation accidents at workplaces with IR sources. Radiobiological events in medicine. Radiation accidents outside workplace with ionizing radiation sources.
10. Ionizing radiation and legislation of the Czech Republic. Atomic law (No 263/2016), SÚJB, Regulation on radiation protection and security (No 422/2016).
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 TURNER, J. E. Atoms, radiation, and radiation protection. 3rd completely rev. and enl. ed. Weinheim: Wiley-VCH, c2007. ISBN 978-3-527-40606-7.
 Attix F.H., Introduction to radiological physics and radiation dosimetry, John Wiley, 2004
 MARTIN, James E. Physics for radiation protection. Third completely updated edition. Weinheim: Wiley-VCH, 2013. ISBN 978-3-527-41176-4.
 MARTIN, Alan D. An introduction to radiation protection. 6th ed. London: Hodder Arnold, c2012. ISBN 978-1-4441-4607-3
 STATKIEWICZ-SHERER, Mary Alice, Paula J. VISCONTI a E. Russell RITENOUR. Radiation protection in medical radiography. 6th ed. Maryland Heights: Mosby/Elsevier, c2011. ISBN 978-0-323-06611-2.
 STABIN, Michael G. Radiation protection and dosimetry: an introduction to health physics. New York: Springer, c2008. ISBN 978-0-387-49982-6.
 L'ANNUNZIATA, Michael F. Handbook of radioactivity analysis. 2nd ed. San Diego: Academic Press, 2003. ISBN 0124366031.
 Martin, J. E. And Lee, C.: Principles of Radiological Health and Safety, Wiley - Intersience, New Jersey, 2003
 Fundamentals of ionizing radiation dosimetry. Weinheim, Germany: Wiley-VCH, 2017. ISBN 9783527808243.
 Radiation Protection [online]. Czech Republic, Prague [cit. 2019-04-20]. Available from:
 Radiation Protection [online]. Czech Republic, Prague [cit. 2019-04-20]. Available from: https://www.iaea.org/topics/radiation-protection
 National Radiation Protection Institute [online]. Czech Republic, Prague [cit. 2019-04-20]. Available from: https://www.suro.cz/en
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
Mon Tue WedroomÚVN
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Prospectus - bakalářský (!)
- Biomedical Technology (compulsory course)