- Grading of the course requires grading of the following courses:
- Anatomy and Physiology II. (F7ABBAF2)
- Garant předmětu:
- Ksenia Sedova
- Pavel Kučera, Ksenia Sedova
- Ksenia Sedova
- Department of Biomedical Technology
Aim/objectives: to introduce students to the theory of electrical phenomena at the cell, organ and organism level, to
the possibilities of measuring and using these manifestations. A sub-objective is to enable students to experimentally verify the
This course builds on Anatomy and Physiology I and II and requires a basic
knowledge of the structure (anatomy) and function (physiology) of the following systems (excitable tissues): nervous, musculoskeletal, circulatory
(especially the heart).
The course deals with the problems of excitable tissues (nervous,
The course deals with the physiology of nervous tissue, muscle and glandular tissue and provides knowledge of the physiology of electrical processes at different levels: cell, tissue, organ, organism.
Conditions for the award of credit: attendance and reports from practical training, without the award of credit the student will not be admitted to the examination.
Examination: written test, questions include numerical problems or require a complex approach to solving. The number of questions is 20. 60 minutes are allotted for the test. Writing test with a minimum of 50%. Overall grade according to the ECTS classification table.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Fundamentals of electrophysiology. Structure of the cell membrane.
2. Principles of action potential propagation.
3. Genesis of the eclectic impulse
4. Special electrophysiology.
5. Special electrophysiology. Electrophysiology of the heart
6. Physical concepts of electrophysiology in terms of individual sub-issues - ?Charge transfer - the driving force of cellular function?
7. Physical concepts of electrophysiology in terms of individual sub-issues - ?And ions: transfer and storage of information?. Summary of the topics covered, preparation for the examination, answers to any questions on the topics covered, possible consultation.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Transepithelial electrophysiology. Demonstration -Ussing chamber with biological object. Transepithelial stresses, passive and active ion transport, ion channels, Na/K pump, pharmacology.
2. Extracellular electrophysiology of isolated nerve. Demonstration - chamber with nerve. Compound action potential. Rate of action potential propagation through nerve, Refractory period, Excitability and lability, Basic properties of action potential propagation through nerve fiber, I/t curve.
3. Electrocardiography. Demonstration - ECG recording method and basic ECG evaluation. Principles of the ECG method. Mechanism of ECG waveform formation. Components of the ECG curve. Determination of heart rate using ECG. Effect of physical activity on electrocardiographic parameters. Evaluation of pathological ECGs.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 SILBERNAGL, Stefan a Agamemnon DESPOPOULOS. Color atlas of physiology. 7th edition. Stuttgart: Thieme, 2015. Thieme Flexibook. ISBN 978-3-13-545007-0.
 PURVES, Dale. Neuroscience. 5th ed. Sunderland, Mass.: Palgrave, c2012. ISBN 978-0-87893-695-3.
 Principles and practice of clinical electrophysiology of vision. 2nd ed. Editor John R. HECKENLIVELY, editor Geoffrey B. ARDEN, editor Steven NUSINOWIT, editor Graham F. HOLDER, editor Michael BACH. Cambridge:MIT Press, c2006. ISBN 0-262-08346-9.
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
Mon Tue Wed ThuroomKL:B-137
Lab. vývoje EZ pro BM - TO
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Prospectus - bakalářský (!)
- Biomedical Technology (compulsory course)