Multicore CPU Computing
- Garant předmětu:
- Ivan Šimeček
- Daniel Langr, Ivan Šimeček
- Daniel Langr, Ivan Šimeček
- Department of Computer Systems
Students will get acquainted in detail with hardware support and programming technologies for the creation of parallel multithreaded computations on multicore processors with shared and virtually shared memories, which are today the most common computing nodes of powerful (super)computer systems. Students will gain knowledge of architecturally specific optimization techniques used to reduce the performance drop due to the widening gap between the computational requirements of multi-core CPUs and memory interface throughput. On specific non-trivial multithreaded programs, students will also learn the basics of the art of creating these applications.
Basic programming skills in C and C++ (similar level to subjects BI-PA1 and BI-PA2), required to pass the subject Parallel and Distributed Programming (MIE-PDP). recommended passing the subject Effective C++ programming (MI-EPC; formerly MI-MPC).
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Multiprocessor, multicore, and multithreaded architectures.
2.-3. (2) Optimization of serial codes.
4. Models of relaxed consistency of shared memory.
5. Optimization of synchronizing operations in multithreaded algorithms.
6. Memory allocators for parallel computations.
7.-8. (2) Lock-free and wait-free programming and data structures.
9.-10. (2) Thread scheduling and memory management in NUMA architectures.
11.-12. (2) Case studies of multithreaded algorithms.
13. Multithreaded programming and vectorization.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
Labs are aimed at tasks related to lectures; the lecturer gives hints and he is prepared for a discussion about tasks.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Solihin, Y. : Fundamentals of Parallel Multicore Architectures (1st Edition). Chapman & Hall/CRC Computational Science, 2015. ISBN 9781482211184.
2. Sorin, D. J. - Hill, M. D. - Wood, D. A. : A Primer on Memory Consistency and Cache Coherence. Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2012. ISBN 1608455645.
3. Pllana, S. - Xhafa, F. (Eds) : Programming Multicore and Many-core Computing Systems. Wiley, 2017. ISBN 0470936908.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
NBFIT PC ucebna
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Master specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2018-2019 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Security, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Systems and Networks, in Czech, 202 (PS)
- Master specialization Management Informatics, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization System Programming, in Czech, version from 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Web Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Master specialization Computer Science, in Czech, 2020 (elective course)
- Mgr. programme, for the phase of study without specialisation, ver. for 2020 and higher (VO)