Marketing and PR in Healthcare
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Biomedical Technology
The goal of this subject is to present the basics of marketing in health care institutions and medical devices companies. Specificities of marketing of services are treated. Focus is on the quality of the product. In the continuous team work, students set up a marketing strategy of a specified institution or product.
Classified credit is conditional on :
1) Attendance of seminars (max. 2 missed seminars)
2) Min. 50 points out of 100 :
a) max. 15 points - minor project
b) max. 10 points - activities on seminars
c) max. 50 points - obligatory final test (min 50% success rate)
d) max. 25 points - continuous project
- Syllabus of lectures:
Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introductory lecture: marketing concepts and basic ideas, marketing management
2. Use of marketing in health care institutions: particularities of marketing in the health care, marketing of hospitals, patient as client, role and position of marketing in the health care management
3. Marketing Mix in health care: particularities of marketing mix in the health care, product as a value for client, price as costs for client, location of providing of the service, promotion tools - communication with patient
4. Marketing management in health care institutions: marketing plan, marketing situation analysis, marketing goals, marketing strategy, action plans and budgeting
5. Basic marketing tools, methods and techniques in health care: PEST analysis, Poster analysis of competition, SWOT analysis, balanced scorecard, CFS analysis
6. PR and new forms of marketing: social media, press releases, online marketing
7. Market survey: structure of information system, methods of market survey, parameters, results interpretation, competitive advantages of health care
8. Marketing strategies: principles of strategic planning, marketing policy, market segmentation -criteria and new approaches, competitive assessment, management of opportunities and risks,
9. Marketing of medical devices: strategy and marketing tools of medical technology producers, market regulation, new products launching, key success factors
10. Medical devices market in the Czech Republic: distribution and pricing of medical devices
11. Corporate social responsibility
12. Positioning and PR - PR and its impact: PR in health care institutions, current issues in health care publicity
13. B2B in health care: specificities, CRM
14. Communication in health care
- Syllabus of tutorials:
Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Organisation of seminars: introduction, evaluation system, presentation of a project, discussion on the topic „marketing in public sector“
2. Possibilities of marketing in health care: market mechanism in health care, demand and supply in health care, factors influencing supply and demand, case studies and examples of health care marketing strategies
3. Marketing mix in health care: marketing mix in the Czech Republic vs. abroad, CSR
4. Case study – Marketing goals - SMART
5. Analysis of external and internal environment: trends in health care financing, laws and legislation, supplier analysis, competition analysis, e-health
6. Case study – new form of marketing (buzz marketing, gerilla, viral marketing etc.)
7. Continuous project assignment, Market survey: What influences the choice of a health care provider?, patient satisfaction measuring methods
8. Continuous project: Marketing plan of a health care institution in public and private sector
9. Continuous project: Marketing plan of a health care institution in public and private sector
10. Continuous project: Marketing plan of a health care institution in public and private sector
11. Case study - PR and its impact, flesh news I.
12. Case study - PR and its impact, flesh news II.
13. Continuous project: presentation
14. Communication in health care: communication as a critical point in health care marketing, communication plan, appropriate and inappropriate communication, analysis of a target group - discussion
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
MS – Powerpoint, flipchart, camera,
(1)TENCH, Ralph a Liz YEOMANS. Exploring public relations: global strategic communication. Fourth Edition. New York: Pearson, 2017. ISBN 9781292112183.
(2)Journal of management & marketing in healthcare. Birmingham, AL: Henry Stewart Publications, 2007. ISSN 1753-3031.
(3) TENCH, Ralph a Liz YEOMANS. Exploring public relations: global strategic communication. Fourth Edition. New York: Pearson, 2017. ISBN 9781292112183.
(4) BARKER, Melissa S., Donald BARKER, Nicholas F. BORMANN, Mary Lou ROBERTS a Debra L. ZAHAY. Social media marketing: a strategic approach. Second edition. Boston: Cengage Learning, 2017. ISBN 978-1-305-50275-8.
- Time-table for winter semester 2023/2024:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2023/2024:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Systematic Integration of Processes in Healthcare - full-time (compulsory elective course)