Psychology in HCI
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Computer Graphics and Interaction
The aim of the course is that students will master all phases of the research process starting from initial planning up to the translation of their observations into innovative design concepts, so they are able to run applied research projects themselves. Overall the emphasis is laid on practitioner's approach and developing skills needed for adopting these technique in daily design practice across various domains.
- Syllabus of lectures:
User Research related topics
- Motivation, role within the design process
- Research strategies, sampling, ethics
- Data collection techniques
- User data representation models
- Practicalities, impact management
Cognitive psychology and Personality psychology related topics
- Mental representations
- Cognitive styles
- 'Flow' concept
- Emotions, Beauty dilemma
- Cross-cultural design
- Syllabus of tutorials:
User research project
- Designing and executing explorative research project aiming to detect innovation opportunities within the studied domain
- Translating user research findings into innovative concepts
- Interviewing skills training
- Guerilla research and qual data analysis training
- Customer-focused innovation workshop
Soft skills development (in a form of full-day workshop) with focus on empathy, recognizing emotions, understanding and managing small-group dynamics, conflict management, cross-cultural communication and self-reflection
- Study Objective:
Students will become familiar with selected psychological topics - mainly from the field of Cognitive Psychology and Personality Psychology that are mostly relevant for designing interactions between humans and interactive systems. Consequently students will be able to understand psychological basis for design rules. Students will also learn advanced methods of surveying their users in order to inform all stages of the design process (so called User Research) and spot opportunities for innovation.
- Study materials:
 Sternberg, R. J. (2002) Kognitivní psychologie (in Czech).
 Parkin, A. J. (2000) Essential Cognitive Psychology.
 Kuniavsky, M (2012) Observing User Experience.
 Disman, M. (1999) Jak se vyrábí sociologická znalost.
 Hall, E. (2013) Just Enough Research.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Open Informatics - Human-Computer Interaction (compulsory course of the specialization)