- Jiří Lettl (guarantor)
- Jiří Lettl (guarantor), Jan Bauer
- Department of Electric Drives and Traction
The course focuses on the basic types of power semiconductor converters, which are used to change the parameters of electricity. Students are introduced to the basic principles, properties and applications of power electronic converters, their advantages, disadvantages, and fuse sizing.
Assesment conditions: attendance by the study laws, activity in course of the exercise solution, passing of the control test, proper worked and evaluated records of the measurement
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. History, basic concepts and definitions of power electronics, power semiconductor devices and cooling.
2. One phase rectifier with different types of loads, basic characteristics.
3. Rectifiers in node configuration, control and load characteristics.
4. Bridge rectifier, control and load characteristics.
5. Block diagram of the control pulse generator, reversing rectifiers.
6. Seriesl and parallel connection of power semiconductor devices, voltage and current dimensioning.
7. Fundamentals of electromagnetic compatibility.
8. AC-AC converter principle of operation, characteristics.
9. DC-DC converters, principle of operation, characteristics.
10. Voltage and current inverters, methods of control.
11. Indirect and direct frequency converters, matrix converters.
12. Power semiconductor converters with DC motors, behaviors, methods of control.
13. Power semiconductor converters with AC motors,behaviors, methods of control.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Instructions to the labs, security directions, laboratory rules, laboratory identification, work with oscilloscope
2. Denomination of power semiconductor devices, work with catalogues
3. One-pulse rectifier, various types of the load
4. Controlled point-to-point rectifier
5. Controlled one-phase bridge rectifier
6. Controlled three-phase bridge rectifier
7. Controlled reversible rectifier
8. Serial and parallel connection of the power semiconductor devices
9. Control test, examples
10. Backward influence of the controlled rectifier on the feeding network
11. One-phase AC/AC converter
12. DC/DC converter
13. One-phase voltage source inverter
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Ned Mohan, William P. Robbins, Tore M. Undeland: WIE Power Electronics: Converters, Applications and Design, Media Enhanced , 3rd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, March 2003
2. Bimal K. Bose:Power Electronics and Variable Frequency Drives : Technology and Applications John Wiley & Sons, Inc. -IEEE Press, New York, September 1996
3. PRESSMAN, Abraham I., Keith H. BILLINGS a Taylor MOREY. Switching power supply design. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw - Hill, ?2009. xxxvii, 841 s. ISBN 978-0-07-148272-1.
4. OGUNSOLA, Ade a Andrea MARISCOTTI. Electromagnetic compatibility in railways: analysis and management. 1st ed. New York: Springer, ?2012. xix, 528 s. Lecture notes in electrical engineering; 168. ISBN 978-3-642-30280-0.
- Time-table for winter semester 2021/2022:
- Time-table for summer semester 2021/2022:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Electrical Enginnering, Electronics and Communications (compulsory elective course)