Lightning protection economy
- Department of Economics, Management and Humanities
The course aims are to provide knowledge on the effects of atmospheric electricity, to familiarize them with the phenomenology of lightning discharge, fundamentals of physics distribution of electric charge in the cloud and between cloud and ground for students of master degree program at CTU Prague. Based on the study of theoretical characteristics of storm activity (isokeraunic maps, number of storm days, numerical, mathematical and physical models) to create a suitable choice of external and internal protection against direct and indirect effects of atmospheric electricity and show the economic context of the design concept.
The course also covers the basic principles of risk assessment of damage caused by a lightning discharge by computational methods and their verification through IEC 62305 standards (students learn the principles of graphic and sequential detection of risk components). The theoretical training is also an economic analysis of loss events, predictive dialling protection, conclusive insurance schemes, etc.
Active participation in lectures and seminars, group and individual work on seminar project are expected. Entry requirements envisaged mathematics, physics, electrical engineering and economics.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction - phenomenology of lightning discharge and the formation of atmospheric surges
2. Identification of the type of lightning discharge IC and CG
3. Methods for detection of lightning discharges, and their economic context
4. Warning and monitoring systems before the thunderstorm activity and protection systems and its economic results
5. Physical, mathematical and numerical models of the effects of lightning discharges
6. Comparison of natural lightning with artificial interventions in the clouds
7. Global and local characteristics distribution of atmospheric discharges
8. Development of protective equipment against direct and indirect intervention lightning discharges, and their application in economic terms
9. Methods of identification, disclosure, management, assessment and valuation of the risks of damage caused by atmospheric discharge based on IEC 62305 - insurance, predictive schemes
10. The test and certification methods of resistance to atmospheric surges
11. Election of the level of protection against lightning (LPS) - economic and technical choice
12. Methods proposal for external and internal protection against lightning discharges at the facility and amenities for electronic equipment - the economic possibilities of the use of protection
13. Protection from atmospheric discharges in specific environments - air traffic, explosive environments, places with extreme frequency interference, solar and wind power
14. Summary findings reserve
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
RAKOV, Vladimir A. Lightning: physics and effects. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002. 687 s. ISBN 0-521-58327-6.
Journal of lightning research [online]. Uppsala: ?ngströmlaboratoriet, 2006- [cit. 2015-02-09]. ISSN 1652-8034.
GOLDE, R. H. Lightning. Bristol: John Wright and Sons Limited, 1977. ISBN 0-12-287802-7.
UMAN, Martin A. Lightning. Dover Publications, 1984. ISBN 0-486-25237-X.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: