- Department of Physics
The purpose of the lecture is to teach students computation of symmetries of the differential equations.
01MAA34, 01DIFR, 02TEF12
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Symmetries in physics and mathematics
3. Local Lie groups.
4. Group action.
5. Lie point transformations.
6. Symmetries of equations.
7. Condition for infinitesimal symmetries.
8. Symmetries of the Burgers equation
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Calculation of symmetries of a given equation (Heat equation, KdV equation, ...)
2. Interpretation of the symmetries
3. Determination of the Lie algebra of the symmetries
4. Symmetry reduction
- Study Objective:
Lie symmetries of differential equations
Computation of point symmetries of differential equations and their application in solution of given ODEs and PDEs.
- Study materials:
 P.J.Olver, Applications of Lie Groups to Differential Equations, Springer 2000
 P.E. Hydon: Symmetry Methods for Differential Equations: A Beginner's Guide (Cambridge Texts in Applied Mathematics), CUP 2000
 N.Kh. Ibragimov: Group analysis of ordinary differential equations and
the invariance principle in mathematical physics, Uspekhi Mat Nauk 47:4 (1992) 83-144 Russian Math. Surveys 47:4 (1992) 89-156
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: