Electronic and Optoelectronic Devices
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Microelectronics
This course introduces the basic theory, principles of operation and properties of electronic and optoelectronic devices. Physical principles of operation, device structures and characteristics are explained together with adequate models for small- and large-signal. Basic applications in analogue and digital electronics are examined. In seminars and labs, students are introduced to basic principles of device simulation, measurement of device characteristics and extraction of device parameters. Operation of electron devices in electronic systems is then analyzed using the PSpice simulator.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. PN junction, thermal equilibrium, function at forward and reverse bias, Schockley equation. Barrier and diffusion capacitance, breakdown, temperature effects.
2. Metal-Semiconductor junction, heterojunctions and heterostructures. Quantum structures: wells, wires and dots.
3. Semiconductor diodes (structures, static and dynamic characteristics, parameters and models).
4. Structure Metal-Insulator-Semiconductor (MIS): depletion, accumulation, weak and strong inversion, threshold voltage, potential well, breakdown mechanisms.
5. Transistor MOSFET: structure, principle of operation, ideal and real characteristic, threshold voltage, backgating, temperature dependence and breakdown mechanisms.
6. Transistor MOSFET: types, small- and large-signal models. DC analysis of circuits with MOSFETs: operating point biasing, basic circuits and applications, high frequency and switching properties.
7. Bipolar junction transistor (BJT): structure, principle of operation, Ebers-Moll model, Early effect, avalanche breakdown, characteristics, small- and large-signal models.
8. Bipolar junction transistor (BJT): operating point biasing, small- and large-signal models (Gummel-Poon), high frequency and switching properties.
9. Power semiconductor devices: PiN and Schottky diode, thyristor, IGBT, power MOSFET - principles, structures, characteristics, models and typical applications.
10. Transistors JFET, MESFET. Transistors based on quantum effects: HEMT, HBT, SET, etc. Semiconductor memory elements: principles, types and applications.
11. Discrete and integrated electron devices - comparison, trends. Examples and analysis of basic structures (CMOS).
12. Optical properties of semiconductors, interaction of light with semiconductor: absorption, emission, stimulated emission, exciton, photocurrent.
13. Radiation detectors (PN, PiN, APD, MS, detectors based on quantum effects - principles, characteristics, parameters, noise), photovoltaic cells, CCD.
14. Radiation sources - light emitting and laser diodes, principles, structures, characteristics, static and dynamic properties.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Laboratory regulations, instrumentation, its operation. Security regulations. Electronic circuit.
2. PSpice and its use for analysis of electronic circuits.
3. Basic properties of semiconductors (crystal and band structure, electrons, holes, acceptors and donors, conductivity), numerical simulations.
4.PN junction (I-V characteristics, concentration profiles of injected carriers, diffusion length, electric field, temperature dependencies), numerical simulations.
5. VA characteristics and bias point of semiconductor diodes. Simulation and measurement of static characteristics.
6. Diode models in PSpice and their parameters. Measurement of dynamic characteristics. Analysis of basic circuits with diodes.
7. Transistor MOSFET - measurement of characteristics, PSpice models, parameter's extraction.
8. Application of MOSFETs in analog circuits (amplifiers): measurement and simulation.
9. Application of MOSFETs in digital circuits (CMOS inverter): design and simulation. Final written test.
10. Bipolar junction transistor - measurement of characteristics, PSpice models, parameter's extraction.
11. Analysis of basic circuits with BJTs (PSpice), - comparison with experiment.
12. Power semiconductor devices - measurement of basic circuits (power MOSFET) and their analysis in PSpice.
13. Optoelectronic devices - measutrement and analysis of typica applications.
14. Finishing missed measurements, issue of grades.
- Study Objective:
To acquaint students with the principles of operation and properties of the most important electronic and optoelectronic semiconductor elements including the theory of their operation.
- Study materials:
1. S.M. Sze, K.Ng.Kwok: Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Wiley-Interscience, New York 2006
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Open Electronic Systems (compulsory course of the specialization)