Design and Construction of Medical Devices/Practical Exercises
- Enrollement in the course requires an successful completion of the following courses:
- Electrical Measurements (17ABBEM)
Electronic Elements and Sensors in Medicine (17ABBESL)
Theory of Electrical Engineering (17ABBTEL)
- Garant předmětu:
- Roman Matějka
- Karel Hanzálek, Roman Matějka, Jana Štěpanovská
- Department of Biomedical Technology
This course will introduce students with basics of design, construction and development process of devices which are used in medical, clinical or laboratory practice. Subject will be divided in two parts. Theoretical part will that follow these topics: basic philosophy of device design and construction, materials, components, laws and standards, process of developments from blueprints and prototype to „ready to sell“ device. Practical part will introduce students into blueprints designs, circuit and schematics drawing, PCB design and development, soldering THT and SMT components, signal conditioning and processing, data acquisition. Also students will develop their simple prototype device and create measuring application in LabVIEW.
Compulsory attendance of courses with one allowed absence. Passing of two tests containing: computational exercise (20 points), circuit/schematics design (20 points) and 5 single choice theoretical questions. Classification mark is given as sum of points of two tests according to ECTS classification scale (minimum 50 points for E). See time schedule of course, link below.
- Syllabus of lectures:
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Initial lesson, circuit analysis and computations, selecting propriate components
2. Making circuit on breadboard, measuring values in circuit using DMM, prototyping
3. THT components placement and soldering - thermometer
4. 1st assessment test, operational amplifiers and instrumentation amplifiers
5. Circuit/schematics and PCB design in Eagle editor
6. SMD components placement and soldering - bargraf
7. 2nd assessment test, LabVIEW measuring application design, digitalization with DAQ card
- Study Objective:
To develop a more detailed view of the design and development of medical devices applied to practical situations, which include: instrumentation amplifier utilization, common mode signal suppression, galvanic isolation and connection of the specialized sensors and transducers.
- Study materials:
 Encyclopedia of Medical Devices and Instrumentation - John G. Webster (authorized access http://knihovny.cvut.cz)
 Wiley Encyclopedia of Biomedical Engineering [online]. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., c1999-2007. Poslední změna 2007 [cit. 2007-05-11]. (authorized access http://knihovny.cvut.cz)
 Webster, J. G. Medical Instrumentation. Application and Design. 3. ed. Boston: Wiley. 1997
 Bronzino, J. D. The Biomedical Engineering Handbook (Volume I. and II.). 2nd ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press. 1999
 Biomedical instruments : theory and design / Walter Welkowitz, Sid Deutsch, Metin Akay. - San Diego : Academic Press, c1992. - xiv, 377 s. : il. - ISBN 0-12-744151-4.
 Measurement, instrumentation, and sensors handbook : CRCnetBASE. - Boca Raton, Fla. : Chapman & Hall/CRC, c1999. - 1 elektronický optický disk (CD-ROM) - ISBN 0-8493-2145-x. - ISSN 1523-3014.
 Sensors and circuits : sensors, transducers, and supporting circuits for electronic instrumentation, measurement, and control / Joseph J. Carr. - Upper Saddle River : Prentice-Hall, 1993. - xii, 324 s. : il. - ISBN 0-13-805631-5.
 Design of biomedical devices and systems / Paul H. King, Richard C. Fries. - New York : Marcel Dekker, c2003. - xv, 585 s., 4 příl. : il. - ISBN 0-8247-0889-X.
 Design of pulse oximeters / edited by J.G. Webster. - Bristol ; Philadelphia : Institut of Physics Pub., 1997. - xvi, 244 s. : il. - ISBN 0-7503-0467-7.
 Design and development of medical electronic instrumentation : a practical perspective of the design, construction, and test of medical devices / David Prutchi, Michael Norris.. - Hoboken : Wiley, c2005.. - xv, 461 s. : il. - ISBN 0-471-67623-3.
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
Lab. elektrotechniky a VIroomKL:B-131
Lab. návrhu a funkce LP
Tue Wed Thu Fri
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Biomedical Technician - full time study in English (compulsory course)