Diffusion separation equipment
- Department of Process Engineering
Classis from Equipment for diffusion separation processes are giving a basic knowledge of processes and equipments where gas or liquid mixture is been separated due to principals of physical-chemical equilibriums or on the basis of mass transfer mechanisms. They are used for concentrating of products from dilute solutions or in turn for purification of diluted gasses or liquid solutions.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Classification and principles of diffusion separation equipment
2. Basis of mass transfer
3. Basis of distillation
4. Basis of rectification
5. Types of rectification apparatuses
6. Basis of absorption
7. Absorption equipment calculation
8. Design of rectification and absorption columns
9. Basis of extraction
10. Design of extraction equipment
11.Basis of adsorption
12. Design of adsorption equipment
13. Membrane operations
14. Crystallization and crystallizers
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Basic equations and quantities in mass transfer, phase equilibrium, molecular diffusion, convective mass transfer.
2. Absorption column calculation, differential balance, determination of column height.
3. Laboratory work: Absorption column - determination of mass transfer coefficient
4. Single continuous and rectification distillation of a binary mixture. Calculation of theoretical number of distillation trays.
5. Extraction, calculation of single-stage equipment, multi-stage system.
6. Adsorption column - equilibrium, the equipment size calculation.
7. Membrane operations, calculation of mass flux through a membrane.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: