- Garant předmětu:
- Jiří Čtyroký, Ivan Richter
- Jiří Čtyroký
- Jiří Čtyroký, Milan Šiňor
- Department of Physical Electronics
Fundamentals of electromagnetic theory of propagation of microwave and optical radiation in metallic and dielectric waveguides. Lorentz-Lorenz reciprocity theorem. Orthogonality of modes, scattering matrix and its properties. Cavity and open laser resonators, Gaussian beams. Complex frequency and quality factor. Dispersion of waveguides and its compensation in optical fibres. Kerr nonlinearity, soliton propagation in optical fibres. Periodic structures, Bloch modes, origin of photonic bandgap. Surface plasmon.
Recommended Physical optics 1, Electrodynamics 1
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Basic theorems of vector analysis. Maxwell equations, vector and scalar potentials, Hertz vectors in sourcefree media. Time-harmonic fields. Boundary conditions at the interface between two media.
2. Metallic waveguides. Waves guided by two perfectly conducting sheets. Cylindrical metallic waveguides of general cross-sections. TE and TM modes, critical frequency. Mode orthogonality. Rectangular and circular waveguides. Two-conductor transmission line, TEM mode. Waveguide loss due to finite conductivity. Waveguide as a transmission line. Fundamentals of microwave circuit theory, definitions and properties of impedance, admittance and scattering matrices.
3. Cavity resonators, eigenmodes and eigenfrequencies, quality factor.
4. Parabolic equation, Gaussian beams, higher-order beams. ABCD matrix of an optical system. Open resonators, stability diagram, eigenmodes and eigenfrequecies. Unstable resonators, diffraction theory.
5. Planar dielectric waveguide, wavetheory, TE and TM modes. Ray-optic theory of multimode waveguides, phase space and mode number. Waveguide acceptance. Guided and leaky modes.
6. Fundamentals of scalar wave and electromagnetic theories of optical fibres, dispersion equations. Classification of modes, propagation constants.
7. Dispersion of multimode and single-mode waveguides, transmission bandwidth. Dispersion management, pulse shaping. Influence of Kerr nonlinearity, nonlinear Schrödinger equation, soliton propagation.
8. Wave propagatin in periodic media, Floquet-Bloch modes. Origin of photonic bandgap.
9. Surface plasmon on metal-dielectric interface as a guided wave.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
Knowledge: solid background knowledge of electromagnetic guided-wave theory and its applications to guided-wave structures.
Skills: orientation in the guided-wave theory, skills in its practical usage and applications, in connection to follow-up courses.
- Study materials:
 Copies of presentations (handouts) from lectures, www.ufe.cz/~ctyroky/fjfi/eldyn2
 Lončar, G., Elektrodynamika I, II. skriptum. 1990, Praha: Ediční středisko ČVUT.
 Stratton, R.A., Teorie elektromagnetického pole. 1961, Praha: SNTL.
 Collin, R.E., Field theory of guided waves. second ed. 1991, New York: IEEE Press.
 Saleh, B.E.A. and M.C. Teich, Fundamentals of photonics. 1991, New York: J.Wiley.
 Kogelnik, H. and T. Li, Laser beams and resonators. Applied Optics, 1966. vol. 5, p. 1550-1567.
 Unger, H.-G., Planar optical waveguides and fibres. 1977, Oxford: Clarendon Press.
 Cancellieri, G., Single-mode optical fibres. 1991, Oxford: Pergamon Press.
 Agrawal, G.P, Nonlinear fiber optics, 3rd edition, 2001, Academic Press.
 J.D.Joannopoulos, R.D. Meade, J.N. Winn, Photonic crystals: molding the flow of light. 1995, Princeton.
 S.G.Johnson, J.D.Joannopoulos, Photonic crystals: the road from theory to practice. 2003, Kluwer.
 H. Raether, Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and on Gratings, 1988, Springer.
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Informatická fyzika (elective course)
- Laserová technika a elektronika (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Optika a nanostruktury (compulsory course of the specialization)