Analytical Chemistry - Seminar 1
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Nuclear Chemistry
Basic calculations in analytical chemistry
Knowledge of general chemistry on the level of a completed basic university course. Registration for the course analytical chemistry.
- Syllabus of lectures:
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Calculation of concentrations, dilution and mixing.
2. Precipitation equilibria, titrations and stochiometry.
3. Gravimetry stochiometry.
4. Complexing equilibria, titrations and stochiometry.
5. Use of precipitation reactions and their stoichiometry in practical tasks carried out in laboratory practice in analytical chemistry. Argentometry of potassium iodide and chloride. Potentiometric titration curve. Precipitation reactions used in qualitative analyses.
6. Use of complexation reactions and their stoichiometry in practical tasks carried out in laboratory practice in analytical chemistry. Chelatometry of cations in mixture using masking of cations. Colored complexes for spectrophotometric determination of analytes. Complex compounds used in qualitative analytical chemistry.
7. Use of acid-base reactions and their stoichiometry in practical tasks carried out in laboratory practice in analytical chemistry. Alkalimetry and acidimetry. Preparation of standard solutions. Cation exchanger and solid phase extraction.
8. Use of redox reactions and their stoichiometry in practical tasks carried out in laboratory practice in analytical chemistry. Iodometry with standard solutions of iodine and sodium thiosulfate. Permanganometry of iron ions. Potentiometric titration curve. Redox reactions in qualitative analytical chemistry.
9. Principle of coulometric titration. Faraday's law. Relation between the electric charge and the analyte amount. Potentiometry with ion selective electrode. Reference and indicating electrode. Ion selective electrode.
10. Principle of molecular spectrophotometry in UV/VIS region. Lambert-Beer law. Calibration curve. Principle of gas chromatography. Evaluation of chromatogram and calculation of fundamentals chromatographic quantities.
11. Statistics of experimental analytical results
- Study Objective:
The seminar in analytical chemistry provides the students with the knowledge of the basic calcuations in analytical chemistry.
The students will acquire competence to perform independenty basic calculations in analytical chemistry.
- Study materials:
1. D.A.Skoog, D.M.West and F.J.Holler, Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry, 6. Edition, Saunders College Publishing, 1992;
2. P. Coufal, Z. Bosáková, R. Čabala, J. Suchánková, L. Feltl, Seminar from analytical chemistry: Theory, problems, exercises
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: