Computer Structure and Architecture
- Department of Electric Drives and Traction
Digital computer units and their structure, function and hardware implementation: ALU, control unit, memory system, inputs, outputs, data storage and transfer.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1.Computer organization, units and their interface.
2.Data, storage and processing.
3.Representation of negative numbers, fix-point and floating point numbers
4.Logic functions, combinatorial components, gate level design.
5.Sequential components structure, description and realization.
6.Typical computer combinatorial and sequential components
7.Arithmetic operation realization.
8.Memory structures and construction principles
9.Computer memory system.
10.Input-output components, buses and communication.
11.Instruction set architecture and machine code.
14.CISC and RISC type processors
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1.Number systems and conversions.
2.Representation of negative numbers and arithmetic operations.
3.Fix point and floating point numbers.
4.Combinatorial components design (gate level)
5.Sequential components realization
6.Logical circuits implementation I
7.Logical circuits implementation II
8.Arithmetic operations hardware realization
10.Simple processor structure and machine code
11.Machine code design
12.Machine code debugging
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Course YE14SAP lectures
2. Mano, M.M.- Ciletti, M.D.: Digital Design 4ed, Prentice Hall, 2006.
3. Haskell, R.E.- Hanna, D.M.: Introduction to Digital Design Using Digilent
FPGA Boards, LBE Books, 2009.
4. Harris,D.M.-Harris,S.L.: Digital Design and Computer Architecture, Elsevier, 2007.
5. Microchip: PIC18F87J11 Family Data Sheet, 2009.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: