Distributed Systems and Computer Networks
- Enrollement in the course requires an successful completion of the following courses:
- Signal theory (A3B31TES)
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Measurement
Subject is devoted to principles and technologies of distributed systems (DS) and to their employment in typical applications. Physical layer media, analog and digital modulations, DS topologies, MAC methods, coding and cryptography basics are introduced. Widely used standard systems are then presented together with their features. Internet protocols are explained and internetworking approaches presented. Finally the typical industrial applications of distributed systems are introduced.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction, basic terms definition, ISO/OSI model, layer functionality
2. Metallic, optic a wireless physical media, features and application parameters
3. Analog and digital modulations, principles, features and applications
4. MAC methods and their characteristics, data transfer types, channel capacity sharing, physical and logical topologies, basic interfaces (EIA232, 422, 485, current loop, USB)
5. Channel coding, error detection and correction coding, symmetric and asymmetric ciphering, digital signature
6. Industrial distributed systems X computer networks - features and differences
7. Industrial distributed systems (FF, CANopen, Profibus, KNX, ASI, HART, ... ) specific features and applications
8. Computer networks (particularly IEEE 802.3), versions, active elements and their configuration, VLAN, deterministic scheduling
9. Wireless networks I (IEEE 802.11, IEEE 802.16)
10. Wireless networks II (IEEE 802.15, ZigBee, Bluetooth, RFID)
11. Networks and modems (PSTN, xDSL, GSM, PLC, cable, radio), parameters and applications
12. TCP/IP basics, Internet protocols and technologies
13. Internetworking, routing, network administration protocols and instruments
14. Distributed systems applications, (data and communication networks, control systems, geographically distributed DAQ systems, vehicle and airplane networks, ... ), EMC
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction, safety in laboratory, presentation of laboratory tasks.
2. Modem communication
3. Frequency spectra of modulated signals.
4. Fiber optics parameters measurement.
5. Evaluation of EIA-485 based communication channel.
6. Modular optical telemetry system.
7. Digital modulations and protocols for wireless networks.
8. Wireless sensor network signal coverage prediction and verification.
9. Evaluation of CAN based distributed system.
10. Power line communication.
11. Simulation of communication channel in Matlab environment.
12. Evaluation of the ZigBee network.
13. Deterministic communication in Ethernet networks.
14. Evaluation, assessment.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 Halsall, F.: Data Communications, Computer Networks and Open Systems. Adison Wesley 1996, ISBN 978-0201422931
 Elsenpeter, R.C.: Optical Networking. McGraw-Hill 2001, ISBN 978-0072193985
 Sohraby, K.: Wireless Sensor Networks: Technology, Protocols and Applications. John Wiley & Sons 2007, ISBN 978-0471743002
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: