Electrical Measurements and Instrumentation
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Measurement
Methods of measurement of electrical physical quantities (voltage, current, power, frequency, resistance, capacitance and inductance) are explained together with principles of their correct application and accuracy estimation. The course is closed by presenting information of several basic electronic measuring instruments and explaining fundamentals of magnetic measurements and basic information concerning measurement systems.
Knowledge of courses: Electronic components, Signals and systéme, Fundamentals of electrical circuits
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction - measuring chain, accuracy of measurement - evaluation of uncertainties of direct and indirect measurements, error of method and its correction.
2. Instruments for voltage and current measurement (analog, digital).
3. Measuring amplifiers with OA, converters of average and of RMS value, phase-sensitive rectifier.
4. Converters for sum and difference measurement, analogue multipliers, measurement of frequency and phase shift.
5. AC or DC current and voltage measurement - standards, methods and instruments
6. Principle of sampling and quantisation of analogue signal, DACs and ADCs - principle and properties.
7. Measurement of resistance - converter R &#8594; U; methods for low and high resistance measurement, unbalanced Wheatstone bridge for sensor application.
8. Present-day digital multimeters, common mode rejection, principle of autocalibration and software calibration.
9. Measurement of power - definition, measuring methods, digital wattmeter; measurement of energy consumption.
10. Measurement of impedance and admittance in LF range - bridges, principle of digital LCR meters.
11. Measurement of DC and LF magnetic field, measurement of parameters and characteristics of ferromagnetic materials.
12. Analogue and digitising oscilloscopes, passive oscilloscope probe.
13. LF generators of measuring signals..
14. Data acquisition systems - overview and application, GP-IB measuring system, DAQ systems based on plug-in boards, software for DAQ systems - overview.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction, safety in lab, oscilloscope - basic control and measurement.
2. Frequency dependence of AC voltmeters. Voltage divider.
3. Low currents measurement. Measuring amplifiers (low DC voltage).
4. Influence of form factor on meter readings. Measuring rectifier.
5. One-phase power measurement. Frequency and period measurement.
6. Principle of signal sampling. Test I.
7. Digitising oscilloscope + arbitrary generatior, application of passive probe. Measurement of low resistances.
8. IEEE 488 measurement system. Test II
9. Digital impedance and admittance meter.
10. Amplitude permeability measurement. Test III
11. Imballanced Wheatstone bridge - application for resistance changing transducers
12. Measurement of the leakage magnetic field of the transformer.
13. Solving individual measurement task
14. Solving individual measurement task
- Study Objective:
Students should be acquainted with fundamentals of electrical (and magnetic) measurement and instrumentation, I particular with measuring methods, current used instruments and their basic parts, their properties and correct application including their integration into data acquisition systems.
- Study materials:
 V. Haasz, M. Sedláček: Electrical Measurements, University Textbook, Publishing House of CTU in Prague, Prague, 2006
 M. Sedláček, J. Holub, D. Hejtmanová: Laboratory Exercises in Electrical Measurements, Publishing House of CTU in Prague, Prague, 2011
 Placko D. : Fundamentals of Instrumentation and Measurement, ISTE 2007, ISBN 1 905209 39 8
 Northrop R.B.: Introduction to Instrumentation and Measurements, CRC 2005, 0-8493-3773-9
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: