Sensors and Measurement
- Department of Measurement
Basic circuits and instruments for measurement of electrical quantities, AD and DA converters, sensors focused to use in robotics and automation, intelligent sensors, methods of decreasing uncertainties.
Basics of physics, electric circuits and mathematical analysis
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Sampling and quantization, AD converters, digital oscilloscope.
2. Measurement of voltage, current, frequency and phase difference. Counter. Errors and measurement uncertainties (repetition).
3. Measurement of RMS value, power and energy consuption.
4. Measurement of small voltages. Measurement of resistances. Instrument transformers.
5. Magnetic measurements. Measurement of impedances.
6. Other measuring instruments - reference sources, DA converters, signal generatotors, spectrum analyzer.
7. Sensing of linear and angular position. Optoelectronic and ultrasound sensors.
8. Sensors of velocity, acceleration and vibrations.
9. Measurement of force and pressure.
10. Measurement of flowrate and level.
11. Contact measurement of temperature.
12. Contactless measurement of temperature.
13. Chemical sensors Sensor networks.
14. Repetition. Solving and calculation of examples.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction, safety rules in laboratory. Seminar: Analog oscilloscop; Excercise: measurement using analog oscilloscope.
Series A (5 lab. exercises)
2. Thermocouple, measurement of its voltage, compensation of temperature of its cold end.
3. Measurement on a switching circuit, Influence of waveform on meter reading, its relationship to frequency dependence, spectrum.
4. An optical positionning sensor, measurement of photocurrent.
5. A/D successive approximation converter.
6. Sensors of electric current. Power measurement.
Series B (6 lab. exercises)
7. Measurement of linear shift
8. Capacitive level sensor. Measurement of impedances.
9. Measurement of force by means of a strain gage bridge.
10. Measurement on transformers (leakage magnetic field, dynamic hysteresis loop, amplitude permeability). temperature 11. 11.Resistance temperature sensor, a measurement system.
12. Measurement of blood pressure and pulse frequency.
13. Individual measurement.
14. Individual measurement and assessments.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 Fraden, J.: Handbook of Modern Sensors. Springer; 3rd edition (September 21, 2001)
 Ripka, P., Tipek, A. (Eds.): Modern Sensors Handbook. ISTE 2007, ISBN 978-1-905209-66-8
 Haasz, V., Sedláček, M.: Electrical Measurements. ČVUT in Prague, Praha 2006
 Sedláček, M., Holub, J., Hejtmanová, D.: Laboratory exercises in Electrical measurements. University texbook, ČVUT, Praha 2011 (2nd edition)
 Placko, D.: Fundamentals of Instrumentation and Measurement, ISTE 2007, ISBN 1-905209-39-8
 Northrop R.B.: Introduction to Instrumentation and Measurements. CRC 2005, 0-8493-3773-9
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: