Practical Excercises in Radiochemistry 1
- Department of Nuclear Chemistry
Detection of ionising radiation (IR), properties of detectors of IR, radioactivity measurement, half-life determination, activation by thermal neutrons, analysis of complex decay curve, radiation spectrometry, measurement optimisation.
1.Basic course of nuclear chemistry.
2.Basic course of ionising radiation detection.
3.Medical certificate of ability to work with ionising radiation.
- Syllabus of lectures:
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1.Specifications and requirements for radiation safety.
2.Plateau and dead time measurement of the GM and scintillation detectors.
3.Study of the statistic character of radioactive decay.
4.Determination of the mass of a radionuclide.
5.Complex decay curve analysis.
6.Half-life determination of long-lived radionuclides (40K, 238U).
7.Measurement of Indium activity increase as the dependence of neutron activation time, half-life determination of Indium.
8.Measurements of activity of liquids.
9.Measurement optimisation in gamma scintillation counting.
10.High resolution gamma-ray spectrometry.
11.Methods of neutrons measurement.
12.Liquid scintillation counting - measurements with one radionuclide.
13.Radiometric characterisation of a borehole in a rock pillar.
14.Application of XRF for the prospection of heavy metals including uranium in a rock pillar.
- Study Objective:
- practical knowledge of samples preparation and fundamentals of radiometric methods
- detection of ionizing radiation with various types of detectors
- verification of basic principles in nuclear chemistry
- basic prepration of (solid) samples
- setting of parameters of detection devices
- Study materials:
1.Decree of the SÚJB No. 307/2002 Coll., on Radiation Protection, Annexes 1-13
2.W.D.Loveland, D.J. Morrissey, G.T. Seaborg: Modern nuclear chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2006.
1. Act No. 18/1997 Coll., on Peaceful Utilisation of Nuclear Energy and Ionising Radiation (the Atomic Act) and on Amendments and Additions to Related Acts.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: