Experimental Methods 1
- Petr Jaroš (guarantor)
- Petr Jaroš (guarantor)
- Department of Materials
There is presented the survey of temporarily applied experimental methods and procedures at following specialties:
- experimental analysis of the main mechanical values (stress, displacement, force, moment, pressure etc.),
- experimental dynamics (exciters, vibration transducers, damping, balancing, vibroanalysis).
Every four-hours lecture consists of theoretical and experimental parts in 1 : 1 time ratio. The actual topics is immediately fixed by laboratory practice in maximally three students groups organised as research team with the leader who is responsible for the proper fulfilment of the task and home elaboration of the report. Each group is leaded by the teacher to advice and solve an incidental troubles through the work.
For full understanding of the lessons basic knowledge of higher mathematics, physics, theory of elasticity, technical strength of materials, mechanical and fatigue behaviours of materials, measurements and computational techniques are demanded.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Experimental mechanics and stress analysis.
a) Measurement and transducers of displacement, strain, distortion, force, torque, pressure.
b) Resistance strain gauges, photoelasticity, brittle coatings, holointerferometry, moiré techniques, thermoelasticity.
2. Experimental dynamics.
a) Basic knowledge on vibrations, vibrators, transducers for acceleration, velocity and dynamic displacement measurement, stroboscop.
b) Digitalisation, data recording and evaluation by computer, statistical and FFT analysis, damping, balancing, multi-parametric vibrodiagnostics.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
Every once a week lecture is composed of 2 hours theoretical review of the topics illustrated by examples from industrial practice and 2 hours of laboratory exercise connected with the topics. Their survey follows:
1. Calibration of the Resistance Strain Gauge Sensitivity
2. Determination of technical parameters of the displacement transducer (edge extensometer)
3. Determination of technical parameters and statistical comparison of two force transducer
4. Strain gauge stress analysis of diametrically loaded ring and comparison with the
5. Study of electrodynamic vibrator behaviours as the dynamic system with one degree of
6. Modal analysis of bending vibrations of the kinematically excited prismatic cantilever
7. Sensitivity of accelerometers and determination of their frequency response
8. Experimental determination of logarithmic damping decrement
9. Application of the laboratory soft-bearing-foundation machine
10. Vibration modes study of the soft founded unbalanced motor by the stroboscope
- Study Objective:
The principal goal of these lectures and laboratory exercises is to firm the theoretical knowledge in branch of experimental mechanics and introduction to important topics in technical practice.
The effort is devoted to proof of known but formal knowledge from physics and strength of materials by simple and undoubted experiments utilizing both classical evaluation of measured data by statistical parameters both measuring computer equipped with all basic data processing.
- Study materials:
 A. S. Kobayashi: Handbook on Experimental Mechanics. Society for Experimental Mechanics, Inc., Prentice-Hall, Inc. ISBN 0-13-377706-5 25.
 J. T. Broch: Mechanical Vibration and Shock Measurements.(K. Larsen and Son, DK, 1984).
Media and tools:
1. Testing laboratory:
Material testing machine, calibration tools for calibration of displacement and force transducers, dial gauges, strain gauge amplifiers and another measuring instruments.
2. Laboratory of Experimental Mechanics:
Electrodynamics vibrators, gauges for displacement, velocity and acceleration measurements, oscilloscope, stroboscope, laser displacement device, table balancing machine, computers equipped with the measuring cards and program INMES for measurement, deposition and analysis of obtained data.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Diagnostika materálů (compulsory course of the specialization)