Formal Methods and Specifications
- Department of Software Engineering
After the course, students will be able to describe semantics of software formally and to use sound reasoning for construction of correct software. They learn to use some software tools that allow to prove basic properties of software.
Knowledge of basic notions of mathematical logic and set theory and ability to use them.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Program specification and basics of practical logic
2. Logical theories and modeling of data structures
3. Operational program semantics
4. Bounded software model checking
5. Unbounded software model checking
6. Program termination, total program correctness
7. Symbolic program execution
- Syllabus of tutorials:
Practical training of the lecture material.
- Study Objective:
The goal of the module is to provide students with the ability to apply formal reasoning in software development. On one hand, this includes the ability to base their own software development activities on sound reasoning, even within an environment that does not systematically employ formal methods. On the other hand, this includes the ability to understand and use automated techniques and tools for supporting formal methods within the software development process.
- Study materials:
1. Aaron R. Bradley and Zohar Manna: ''The Calculus of Computation'', Springer Verlag, 2007
2. Edmund M. Clarke, Orna Grumberg, and Doron A. Peled: ''Model Checking'', MIT Press, 1999
3. Zohar Manna and Amir Pnueli: ''Temporal Verification of Reactive Systems'', Springer Verlag, 1995
4. Glynn Winskel: ''Formal Semantics of Programming Languages'', MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1993
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Computer Security, Presented in English, Version 2016 až 2020 (elective course)
- Computer Systems and Networks, Presented in English, Version 2016 až 2020 (elective course)
- Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in English, Version 2016 až 2020 (elective course)
- Specialization Software Engineering, in English, Version 2016 až 2020 (compulsory course of the branch)