- Department of Software Engineering
Course is based on knowledge obtained in BI-DBS. Students become familiar with advanced relational and non-relational features of SQL language. In particular stored program unites, triggers, recursive queries, OLAP support, object-relational constructions. Part of the course is dedicated to practical database optimization from the point of view of specialized database structures like indexes, clusters, index-organized tables, and materialized views. as well as from the point of view query optimization. Execution plan and possibilities of its. changes will be discussed. Lectures will usually discuss SQL standard, but many features will be demonstrated on Oracle DBMS. Seminars are based on Oracle DBMS and partially on PostgreSQL.
Course is based on a basic knowledge of SQL language at a level of BI-DBS requirements.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction, SQL overview, command MERGE, OLAP support
2.-6. Stored program units, Language PL/SQL
7.-8. SQL query tuning, execution plan
9.-10. Specialized structures for fast data access
11. Recursive queries
12.-13Object relational features of SQL
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Program of seminars, organization, structure and requirements for semester project
2. SQL review, MERGE, OLAP support
3. Consultation to semester project, the first check point
4-6 PL/SQL exercises
7. Consultation to semester project, the second check point
8-9 SQL query optimization, special tools for SQL query optimization
10. Structures for fast data access
11. PostgreSQL - SQL queries optimization basics, pgfounie script
12. Consultation to semester project
12 Object relational features, semester project evaluation
- Study Objective:
Practical experiences of SQL advanced features.
- Study materials:
Ramakrishnan, R., Gehrke, J. ''Database Management Systems''. McGraw Hill Higher Education, 2002. ISBN 0071230572.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Bc. Programme Informatics, Part -Time Form of Study, in Czech, Version 2015 - 2020 (elective course)
- Bc Branch Security and Information Technology, Part-Time Form, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (elective course)
- Bc.Branch WSI, Specialization Software Engineering, Part-Time Form, Versionverze 2015 - 2020 (elective course)