Fundamentals of Radiation Dosimetry 2
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Dosimetry and Application of Ionizing Radiation
Fundamentals of biological effects of ionizing radiation. Quantities and units used in radiation protection. Recommendations of ICRP and ICRU. Principles and methods of measurements in dosimetry. Determination of activity and neutron source emission. Measurements of absorbed dose and exposure.
Completion of 16ZDOZM1 is required.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Exposure quantity, its definition and historical development.
2. Definition of kerma and reasons for its introduction. Calculation of kerma for photon radiation. Relationship between exposure and kerma.
3. Energy and its calculation
4. Absorbed dose, definition and calculation.
5. Comparison of absorbed dose with exposure and kerma.
6. Microdosimetric quantities - specific and linear energy. Differences between stochastic and non-stochastic quantities in dosimetry.
7. Biological effects of ionizing radiation. Survival curves, relative biological efficacy.
8. Equivalent dose and effective dose.
9. Operational variables for monitoring people and work environment.
10. Radiation protection system. Dose control and dose limits.
11. Principles of determination and measurement of basic dosimetric quantities. Methods of activity determination. Measurement of neutron source emission.
12. Dose measurement issues. Summary of cavity theory. Bragg-Gray's cavity theory, its consequences and shortcomings.
13. Use of ionization chambers to measure doses. Principle of ionization chambers, technical implementation and application of Bragg-Gray theory.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
The exercise follows the outline of the lectures.
- Study Objective:
Knowledge of quantities and units in radiological physics and dosimetry.
Application of quantities and units in radiological physics and dosimetry.
- Study materials:
 Fundamentals of Ionizing Radiation Dosimetry, P. Andreo, D.T. Burns, A. E. Nahum, J.Seuntjens, F. H. Attix, Wiley-VCH, 2017. ISBN 978-3-527-40921-1
 Fundamentals of Dosimetry, J. Sabol, CVUT publication, 1992 (in Czech)
 Physics for Radiation Protection, J. E. Martin, Wiley-VCH, 2013. ISBN: 978-3-527-41176-4
 Handbook of Dosimetry and Radiation Protection, J. Sabol, CVUT publication, 1996 (in Czech)
 ČSN ISO 31-9 Quantities and Units - Part 9: Atomic and Nuclear Physic (in Czech)
 ČSN ISO 31-10 Quantities and Units - Part 10: Nuclear reactions and ionizing radiation (in Czech)
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: