Building Physics and Thermal Performance Measurement
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Architectural Engineering
Basic overview of the thermal protection of buildings, building acoustics, daylighting and the measurement of hygro-thermal quantities.
Heat transfer, thermal conductivity, thermal resistence and thermal transmitance, multidimensional heat transfer, thermal bridges and thermal joints, diffusion of water vapour and vapour condensation, mould growth, transient heat transfer, risk of overheating, low-energy, passive and zero-energy buildings, sound propagation in outdoor and indoor environment, sound insulation in buildings, calculation of noise levels from sound sources, daylighting in buildings, human eye, visual comfort and health aspects, basic photometric quantities, sunlight, assessment methods, glare and view-out, sun in urban structure, basic and advanced daylighting strategies, shading systems, theory of measurement, measurement of parameters of the internal environment, infrared thermography, measurement of the air permeability, monitoring of the building thermal performance.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Heat transfer, thermal conductivity, thermal resistance and thermal transmitance, heat loss by conduction and ventilation, building-energy concepts, low-energy, passive and zero-energy buildings
2. Multidimensional heat transfer, thermal bridges and thermal joints, internal surface temperature, temperature factor, risk of surface condensation and mould growth.
3. Diffusion of water vapour and condensation in the constructions, calculation principles, design strategies for hygro-safe constructions
4. Transient heat transfer and thermal inertia, the risk of overheating in summer period
5. Introduction to acoustics of buildings, sound in living environment, sound pressure, frequency, spectral analysis, perception of sound (frequency weighting, levels), intensity, time variations, sound sources and sound fields, sound power and directivity factor
6. Outdoor sound propagation, attenuation of sound over distance and effect of climatic events, ground reflection, noise reduction by vegetation, noise barriers, indoor sound propagation, sound absorption, noise limits
7. Airborne sound insulation, weighted sound reduction index of single and double building elements, resonant frequency, impact sound insulation, weighted normalized impact sound pressure level of floors, effect of floating floors and floor coverings, flanking transmission, requirements
8. Daylighting in buildings: benefits, limitations; human eye (the process of vision), visual comfort and health aspects, basic photometric quantities, direct sunlight versus diffuse sky component: standard requirements of daylight and sunlight, assessment methods, glare and view-out as a qualitative factor.
9. Sun in the urban structure (case studies), basic and advanced daylighting strategies, shading systems
10. Introduction to the theory of measurement – statistical background, estimation of uncertainty, error analysis, accuracy of measurement devices
11. Measurement of selected physical quantities related with the thermal performance of buildings – physical principles, measuring devices, measurement procedures
12. Measurement of parameters of the internal environment, measurement of meteorological conditions, infrared thermography
13. Measurement of the air permeability of buildings (blower door test), long-term monitoring of the building thermal performance and measurement of energy consumption.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Heat transfer and thermal transmittance of constructions, mean thermal transmittance, thermal balance of a space, energy need for heating
2. Internal surface temperature on thermal bridges and joints
3. Vapor transfer in constructions
5. Outdoor sound propagation, basic quantities and equations, indoor sound propagation, equivalent absorption area, reverberation time
6. Airborne sound insulation, impact sound insulation, sound transmission between rooms
7. Calculation of sunlight exposure duration within residential rooms
8. Introduction to the daylight calculation - daylight factor, techniques and parameters for improve daylight quantity and quality in the room
10. Estimation of uncertainties and error analysis, excursion to a laboratory
11. Infrared thermography – work with the infrared camera (capturing thermal images), analysis of thermal images
12. Blower door test – presentation of the measurement procedure, detection of the leakage paths, analysis of test results
13. Consultation, credit.
- Study Objective:
Students should be able to apply engineering approach and solve standard issues of building physics.
- Study materials:
?Hugo S. L. Hens: Building Physics - Heat, Air and Moisture: Fundamentals and Engineering Methods with Examples and Exercises, Ernst & Sohn, 2012, ISBN 978-3-433-60235-5.
?CIBSE: Lighting Guide 10: Daylighting — A guide for designers: Light in the built environment. The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers – The Society of Light and Lighting 2014, ISBN: 978 1 906846 48 0.
?FICKER, T.: Handbook of Building Thermal Technology, Acoustics and Daylighting, CERM, Brno 2004, ISBN 80-214-2670-5.
?Taylor J.R.: An introduction to error analysis, University science books, Sausalito, 1997, ISBN 0-935702-75-X.
?Vollmer, M., Mollman, K.-P.: Infrared Thermal Imaging: Fundamentals, Research and Applications, WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, 2018, ISBN 978-3-527-41351-5.
:Study documentation (lectures and other information) available after login to web page of the course.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Buildings and Environment (compulsory course)