Optical Laboratory II.
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Natural Sciences
Practical course where students will learn the fundamental methods for practical dispensing of individual spectacle lenses. Students will practice the methods for measuring individual parameters of a client and of individual spectacle lenses processing. Dispensing progressive and degressive spectacle lenses. The course makes possible to apply theoretical knowledge from opthalmic optics in practice.
1. Absences (up to 20%, i.e. 3 absences per semester) must be replaced with another parallel course discussing the same topic, reexamination or possibly defending the seminar work. Illness evidenced by incapacity for work or a doctor's report is considered an absence and must be replaced.
2. Ongoing completion of tasks assigned in class. E.g. grinding of spectacle lenses, spectacle repairs, measurement of individual parameters of the client, etc.
- Syllabus of lectures:
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Measurement of prism angle
2. Measurement of index of refraction of prism
3. Measurement of focal length
4. Measurement of radius of curvature with spherometer;
5. Measurement of resolving power of objective lens
6. Measurement of radius of curvature microscope
8. Transmittance and reflectivity of optical glass and plastics
9. Demonstrations of optical aberrations
10. Spectral transmittance of glass
11. Dispersion of light - Abbe number
12. Measurement of spectrum of light sources by fibre spectrometer
13. Measurement of wavelength of laser by diffraction grating
In the practical part of the course students will learn how to choose a proper frames and spectacle lenses for individual customers. They will also practice the technology (cutting, grinding, edging, polishing) of spectacle lenses processing, centering the lens, bevelling the lens into frames and adjusting the spectacle frames.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 JALIE, Mohammed. Ophthalmic lenses and dispensing. 3rd ed. Edinburgh: Elsevier/Butterworth Heinemann, 2008. ISBN: 9780750688949.
 BROOKS, Clifford W. System for ophthalmic dispensing. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Butterworth Heinemann,2007. ISBN: 9780750674805.
 JALIE, M. The principles of ophthalmic lenses. 5th ed. London: The Association of British Dispensing Opticians, 2016. ISBN: 9780900099021.
 DOSHI, S., HARVEY, W., Eye Essentials: Assessment & Investigative Techniques, 1st ed. Elsevier, 2005. ISBN: 978-0-7506-8853-6
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Optics and Optometry (compulsory course)