Planar Integrated Optics
- Garant předmětu:
- Václav Prajzler
- Vítězslav Jeřábek, Václav Prajzler
- Václav Prajzler
- Department of Microelectronics
The subject describes theoretical and technological principles and design of planar integrated optics and optoelectronics as optical dividers, The students get acquainted with the principles of the light propagation in planar waveguide and with basic devices and structures of integrated optics and optoelectronics as coupling elements, optical microresonators, planar optical transmitters an receivers with SS-LD, WG-PD . In the course are integrated devices and structures for telecommunication for multiplexing and signal processing. There are optical elements for physical and chemical sensor application and basic important measurement and diagnostic methods.
Conditions for granting credit - participation in all exercises, submission of all protocols for measuring specified tasks, successful completion of a credit test.
Conditions for passing the exam - credit awarded, successful completion of the exam test and answers to the examiner's questions.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Planar integrated optics - the basic concepts and principles. The historical development and milestones of the integrated optics and optoelectronics.
2. Basic principles of the electromagnetic wave propagation used in the planar optics.
3. Optical radiation sources, radiation sources principles. The optical transmitters.
4. Optical radiation detectors, principles of the fotodetection. Optical radiation receivers.
5. Optical planar waveguide structures as the basis of integrated components.
6. Integrated optical circuits MM and SM, integrated optics and optoelectronics.
7. Planar optical power and wavelength dividers, interference and coupling elements. Passive electrooptical and thermooptical wavelength components. Microresonator elements.
8. Integrated optic and optoelectronic materials and technology.
9. Optical communication links. The integrated components for communication.
10. Integrated optical components and subsystems for the optical signal distribution.
11. Integrated components for optical packed systems. Optical planar amplifiers.
12. Design software for the optical and optoelectronic integrated structures with the planar waveguides.
13. Integrated optical sensors, sensors with interferometers.
14. Selected measurement and diagnostic methods.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Design software for the photonics and integrated optics.
2. Linear models of the optoelectronic components.
3. Design and optimization of detectors and planar receivers of the optical radiation.
4. Design of the optical planar waveguides
5. Design of the optical planar waveguides I.
6. Design of the optical planar waveguides II.
7. Design of the planar microwave OE receivers and OE transmitters.
8. Measurement of the optical planar waveguides and the planar power dividers.
9. Measurement of the optical planar wavelength selective dividers.
10. Measurement of the detectors and the planar receivers.
11. Measurement of the spectral properties of the optical planar waveguide.
12. Measurement of the optical waveguide properties by the time reflectometry method.
13. Measurement of the optical planar waveguides by the Abbe refractometr.
14. Measurement of the optical sensors, credit.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
G.P. Agrawal: Lightwave Technology, J.Wiley&Sons, Inc., New York, 2006.
K. Okamoto: Fundamentals of Optical Waveguides, Elsevier, Amsterodam, 2006.
E. Sackinger:Broadband Circuitsfor Optical Fiber Communication, J. Wiley&Sons,Inc., New York, 2005.
Ch.L. Chen: Elements of Optoelectronics, IRWIN, Chicago1996.
H. Nishihara, M. Haruna, T. Suhara: Optical Integrated Circuits, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1985.
B.E.A. Saleh, M.C. Teich: Fundamentals of Photonics, J. Wiley&Sons,Inc., New York, 1991.
R.G. Hunsperger: Integrated Optics: Theory and Technology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1984
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2023/2024:
Mon Tue Wed Thu FriroomT2:E1-102b
- Time-table for summer semester 2023/2024:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans: