Fiber Lasers and Amplifiers
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Physical Electronics
Introduction: optical fibres, passive components, pump lasers. Spectroscopy of rare earth elements. Erbium-doped fibre amplifier, rate equations, gain saturation. Complex theoretical model and optimization of the amplifier. Amplifier characterization (gain, noise figure). Erbium doped fibre laser, continuous wave and pulse regime. Fibre amplifiers and lasers doped with other rare earth ions, high-power fibre lasers utilizing cladding pumping, Raman fibre amplifiers. Implementation of fibre amplifiers in optical communication systems.
Basic knowledge of laser physics, laser technology and fiber optics; basic programming knowledge
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Components of fiber amplifiers and lasers.
2. Rare-earth doped fiber spectroscopy
3.-4. Erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA)
5. Continuous-wave fiber lasers and high-power cladding-pumped fiber lasers
6. Fiber lasers with based on other rare-earth dopants, discussion of selected research topics
7. Laboratory visit in ÚFE Suchdol: preparation of optical fibers and their bascic characterisation
8.-9. Pulsed fiber lasers
10.-11. Semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOA) and their application in components for transparent optical networks
12. Raman fiber amplifiers
13. Parametric fiber amplifiers
14. Laboratory visit in ÚFE Kobylisy: Laboratory of nonlinear fiber optics
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
principles of fiber amplifiers and lasers and methods of their optimization.
applications of obtained knowledge mainly for industrial applications of high-power fiber lasers and implementation of fiber amplifiers in optical communication systems.
- Study materials:
 Texts for lectures in pdf format at http://www.ufe.cz/~peterka/fjfi/
P. Peterka: Fiber lasers,http://www.ufe.cz/~peterka/fjfi
M. Karásek: Optical fibre amplifiers, http://www.ufe.cz/~peterka/fjfi
B. E. A. Saleh and M. C. Teich. Fundamentals of photonics. John Willey & sons, inc., 1991.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: