Application of Neutron Diffraction in Material Research
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Solid State Engineering
This lecture introduces the neutron diffraction method as the method used in solid state physics research and the materials sciences. The basic principles of the nuclear and magnetic neutron scattering are given, as well as the comparative properties to the X-ray method. The basic concept of this method is illustrated by many practical examples.
4. R. A. Young: The Rietveld Method, IUCr, Oxford Science Publications, 1995
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction to the diffraction methods. 2. Thermal neutrons, principles of scattering by atom and crystals.3. Scattering amplitude b nuclear and p magnetic 4. Absoption, comparative properties of X-rays and neutrons 5. Fields of application in solid state physics and materials research 6. Experimental technique - diffractometers, resolution function, diffraction mode. 7. Experimental technique - research reactors, pulsed neutron sources, detectors. 8. Experimental technique - refrigenerator, pressure chambers, heaters, texture goniometers. 9. Experimental technique 10. Rietveld analysis - code RIET-N, GSAS, FULLPROF, RIETAN 10. Experimental technique - computer control, data processing 11. Structure analysis - zeolites, high temperature superconductors, ionic conductors. 12. Magnetic structure and magnetic transition characterisation - perivskites. 13. Quantitative texture analysis - code: TODF-N, popLA, GSAS. 14. Small angle scattering, inelastic scattering.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
2. V.F.Sears: Neutron Optics, Oxford University Press, 1989
- Study materials:
2. V.F.Sears: Neutron Optics, Oxford University Press, 1989s: Neutron Optics, Oxford University Press, 1989 3. Higgins and Benoit: Polymers and Neutron Scattering, Oxford Science Publications, 1994
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: