- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Biomedical Technology
Development, methodology and methods of psychology. Mental activities and psychic processes, psychology of personality, objects of psychology and their formation and development. Modern psychology; its concept and theory, psychic processes and stages. Psychological interpretation of personality. Application of knowledge in medical situations. Relation between technicians and medical doctors, technicians and patients, technicians and nurses.
Communication as a tool for good cooperation amongst people and an aid to interactions. Basic expression and communication skills. Use of elocution and gestures in personal expression. Verbal and nonverbal communication. Dialogue; types of dialogue, questions during dialogue. Model situations. Communication process as part of economics - components, tools and functions.
Presentation of the selected topic by each student from a list of approved topics and written test (MCQ) or open questions. The final grade will be in accordance with the ECTS classification table (grades A to F).
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. History of psychology, methods of psychology, psychological trends.
2. Psychic phenomena, psychic processes and states. Personality, theory of personality, characteristics of drives and motivation, life goals and values.
3. Social psychology: concepts and terminology, social interaction, social attitudes , social role and social perception.
4. Communication as an instrument for understanding among people, verbal and non-verbal communication, self image. Education of different groups of clients. Communication skills.
5. Developmental psychology: concepts and terminology, stages of human development, thanatology
6. Psychological strain and its consequences, resilience, difficult/demanding life situations, coping with difficult life situations, maladaptive reactions, mental hygiene.
7. Psychopathology. Neurosis, psychosis, personality disorders. Alcohol and drug addiction.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Creativity stimulation, dominance and submissivity, tests of concentration, thinking and space orientation. Motivation and list of values.
2. Psychotherapy as one of the methods of treatment. Transaction analysis ? how people play. Humanistic psychotherapy.
3. Concept of male and female roles. Influencing other people.
4. The Fundamentals of Neuropsychology. The Brain and its Functions
5. Educating a client with special needs
6. Interview, types of interviews, interview questions, conducting interview, interview with a patient / handicapped client.
7. Conflicts and conflict resolution. Prevention of burn-out syndrome, relaxation, Balint groups.
- Study Objective:
To train and focus on practical basic skills of communication and presentation based on the knowledge of psychology. Managing basic verbal and nonverbal communication. Training on use of audio-visual facilities. Training on how to deal with basic situations common to medical staff, patients and also in technically focused groups during complex problem resolution
- Study materials:
 Hilgard, E., Atkinson, C.A., Atkinson, R.L.: Atkinson - Hilgard's Introduction to Psychology. Wadsworth, 2003. (mandatory book)
 Irving B. Weiner (Editor-in-Chief), Handbook of Psychology, 12 Volume Set, 2003
ISBN: 978-0-471-17669-5 (recommended only)
 McCarthy, P., Hatcher, C. (2002) Presentation Skills: the essential guide for students, London: SAGE (recommended only)
 Levy, M. (2000) Presentations made easy, London: Law Pack (recommended only)
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Biomedical Technician - full time study in English (compulsory course)